What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 canopy lock

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a canopy lock for the RV14 yet? If so, I would really appreciate a picture or two.

Also, for those flying; How do you secure the canopy in an open "taxi" position. It would be possible to open the canopy lift it two or three inches and then close the latch and rest the open canopy on the latch mechanism. This would work but provides no method of holding the canopy in that position. My concern would be a strong tail wind from aft possibly throwing open the unsecured canopy.
There does not appear to be enough room to drill another lower, canopy open hole, in the canopy bow.

Thanks

Tom Martin

Last edited:
I have not installed a canopy lock. However, using an idea from an RV-7 builder, I plan to drill one hole each (~#30) in the external lugs on the latch and release, and then use a small pad lock between them. While hardly strong, it deters curious hands. If someone really wants to steal the avionics, I "hope" that cutting the small padlock is easier than breaking the canopy.

Regarding the open/vent position, the canopy is pretty solidly seated on the pins. The struts have very little leverage in the down position so the weight of the canopy holds it in place. I think the wind risk is slight. YMMV

I'm working a locking latch cover design to prevent the 'squeezing' of the latch dogs to release the latch itself.
I agree with Keith comment concerning the unsecure canopy threat issue.

On the subject, one must make it a habit to always return the latch to lock position ; canopy open, rest open, or close position to avoid catching a leg on the outside latching mechanism.

Thanks guys, great suggestions. I was asking a friend about the lock this morning and he suggested the external lock with the hole in the latch idea as well. So simple, light and easy, I like it!

It would be possible to open the canopy lift it two or three inches and then close the latch and rest the open canopy on the latch mechanism. This would work but provides no method of holding the canopy in that position. My concern would be a strong tail wind from aft possibly throwing open the unsecured canopy.
There does not appear to be enough room to drill another lower, canopy open hole, in the canopy bow.

This is the design intent and is how both factory demonstrators have been operated for hundreds of hours. In the vent position, the struts are still in an over center position so they are slightly pushing in the closed direction. I wont say that it is impossible for it to be blow open but RV-6's, 7's, and 9's have been operated this way for decades without any problem that I am aware of.

I have not installed a canopy lock. However, using an idea from an RV-7 builder, I plan to drill one hole each (~#30) in the external lugs on the latch and release, and then use a small pad lock between them. While hardly strong, it deters curious hands. If someone really wants to steal the avionics, I "hope" that cutting the small padlock is easier than breaking the canopy.

This has been the design intent of the latch since it was first used on the RV-6 (though I admit not documented very well) but the holes are left out for the builder to add only if they want it.

It is perfectly acceptable to taxi with the canopy resting on the protruding locking pins but I strongly advise: A- making sure your arm is resting on the canopy edge to ensure it is held down. B- Make sure you install the audible warning alert for the canopy into your software. The canopy WILL lift up at fast taxi or takeoff roll speeds. Ask how I know.
Cheers

It is perfectly acceptable to taxi with the canopy resting on the protruding locking pins but I strongly advise: A- making sure your arm is resting on the canopy edge to ensure it is held down. B- Make sure you install the audible warning alert for the canopy into your software. The canopy WILL lift up at fast taxi or takeoff roll speeds. Ask how I know.
Cheers

I think that will also happen even if it is fully closed but not latched (as proven repeatedly by a lot of different RV pilots :rolleyes:)

Cheers

Sounds like the Bernoulli principle in action

Back