What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Patterns needed - RV-12 / 3 piece panel

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I have completed installing my RV-12 panels as per Van's. After certification as ELSA, I want to install my Dynon radio and a Dynon intercom and remove the Garmin radio/intercom combo. Also, I will move the positions of a few of the other avionics in the panel slightly.

I would appreciate that someone near to the greater Los Angeles or Orange County could let me make a pattern on paper from their yet uninstalled panels (3 pieces). I can come to you and make these patterns at you convenience. This would allow me to cut and paint my new panel pieces now and not have to wait until I tear my old panel apart after FAA blessing s ELSA.

Thanks for considering my request.

I sure do wish!!!

I really want to do something similar -- build replacement panels to correct some cosmetic issues as well as a couple of minor changes. I really don't want to rip everything apart and have the airplane out of commission for days or weeks while I do it. So far - no luck with a CAD drawing or just getting some un-punched blank panels, I called and asked about it. No go. :(

Same here

Dale, Exactly what I want to do. No luck so far with Van's as I kind of expected. Too bad but I understand. No argument. I was hoping that someone nearby had a fuselage kit in which these parts have not yet been installed. If I could find someone who would let me make tracings of their three pieces of the panel then I could make the pieces cut out as per my future plans and then paint, etc, etc.

I hope that there is an RV-12 builder within 50 miles or so who would let me trace their panels out on paper. If not them I'll have to do it when I remove the original panels - but this will increase the down time of my 12 by a few weeks or so. I really would like to have my new panels finish cut and painted at least a month ahead of installation.

Also want to try to figure out how to install a hand hold device similar to the 12is. That is a great idea but looking at my back panel, it looks like it may not be doable. I will not change any of Van's structural engineering in order to get a hand hold.

By the way, if I am able to get an accurate tracing of the three panels, I'll be happy to share it with anyone who wants it. Should have thought ahead before I installed the three panels a few months ago!!! This is all part of the fun and education that I have received while assembling my 12. Appreciate Van's kit immensely.

Hi Ed,
I can?t help you with the panels since my airplane is flying. As for the passenger assist handle, it?s definitely doable. I installed one recently on someone else?s -12. Just order the parts from Van?s (when I did it, there was no retrofit kit, so I had to look up the parts on line). It will require cutting some holes in the center avionics panel, as well as locating, drilling and dimpling a bunch of holes in the top of tha avionics bay cover for the support ribs. Locating those holes properly is a real pain in the rear, so you might consider ordering the avionics cover for the -12iS which is pre drilled.
Alex

I would appreciate that someone near to the greater Los Angeles or Orange County could let me make a pattern on paper from their yet uninstalled panels (3 pieces). I can come to you and make these patterns at you convenience.

Hi Ed,

I sent you an email (not a pm). I may be able to help, if you want to drive to Irvine.

E.D. - Don't hold me to this but I could swear I read (albeit quite a while back) that Van's provided a builder with a panel section that was just the blank panel prior to the cutouts being made.

I can see Van's not wanting to give out their CAD info .... but have you asked Van's if they would be kind enough to pull the panel section(s) you need from the manufacturing line prior to making the avionics cutouts?

E.D. - Don't hold me to this but I could swear I read (albeit quite a while back) that Van's provided a builder with a panel section that was just the blank panel prior to the cutouts being made.
I saw an indication of this very thing in the construction drawings. When I called Van's to ask about ordering the part in question, I was told there was no such thing.

I can see Van's not wanting to give out their CAD info .... but have you asked Van's if they would be kind enough to pull the panel section(s) you need from the manufacturing line prior to making the avionics cutouts?
Yes, I did ask them. I was politely but firmly told no, they wouldn't do it.

I think I may just order the left side panel, since I don't plan to remove or relocate any existing openings on that side. I think (haven't checked yet) that it's a mirror image of the right side as far as size, shape and screw holes are concerned. Then I can cut a matching right side from some alclad stock and have my way with it.

Last edited:
from the beginning i planned my own panel so van's panel pieces worked perfect as ''templates''.
i am 99% sure i still have the 3 pieces.i would send them to you for the postage and would want them back say in 3 months.
e mail me at [email protected] if interested.

I have a CAD drawing of a one piece panel for the RV-12 if you are interested. I have had one laser cut panel and three waterjet cut panels made from the drawing, so the outside contours and hole locations are accurate to Van's nutplate hole locations. Also has ACK ELT, Garmin GTR200, Skyview D1000, D700 and SV-AP/SV-Knob cutouts/nutplate holes that might be useful. It could be turned into a 3-piece panel with a couple of cut lines and adding the throttle/choke extension area in the center piece (I made a seperate AL angle mount for the throttle).

PM me if you are interested.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Back