What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for advice- selling kit

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi All, I've been a lurker while Doug was still in the building and earlier days of the site.

I started my 7A in 2006-7 when life was a lot less hectic for me. A couple of moves, different jobs and promotions, and an actual 1 million+ butt in seat air miles (in the back) and I've not touched it in the last 6+ years. I think the time as come to move on and just buy something flying.

As much as I love building and wrenching, the economics of time and money for me are such that it makes more sense for me to buy than build since I can make money far faster than I can find/make time.

Looking for advice on pricing, etc.

2007 (which I ordered and picked up from Vans) QB slider kit including the wings, Fuse including Finishing kits. Wings are done and the control surfaces are 90% done, Emp 90% done too (I actually need to go aquatint myself with everything again). Quite a bit of work done on the fuselage too. Work is probably average or slightly above. My grandfather who was an A&P was helping prior to his passing and this was his fun project.

I also have an Aerosport IO-390, with one mag and one lightspeed that was set up for long term storage (was also stored in a climate controlled area).

The one downside is that when my grandfather passed away most of the documentation we'd done was on a PC that was donated by my grandmother and brother (unknowing what it had on it).

Thoughts, advice, etc?

I'll be taking some pics in the next couple weeks and then will get in the classifieds, but any advice on what the collective RV community thinks would be greatly appreciated before I get it posted. From what I've been researching the 390 is probably a better choice for the 14's now than the 7's.

I've already begun researching flying RV-7's to purchase, but I know the wise thing to do is sell the project before I do so.

Thanks in advance!
dan

Last edited:
When I was purchasing a kit from another, I looked at the current cost per kit and came up with an offer that we both found acceptable. Kit costs have gone up since 2007 so selling the price you paid then should be attractive to someone looking to buy today, depending on quality of work and logs.

Here is what sells kits -
1. Completeness of parts and documents.
2. Location, location, location ( it’s $2-3k to ship a kit almost anywhere in the lower 48.) You also get much more play if you have local interest, someone who can inspect and trailer it home themselves.
3. Quality of work completed.
4. Price.

Prices range from $15k -$25k for complete kits, at least what I see advertised and what I sold one for. New QB 7A kits, complete, I believe are in the mid $30k range depending on options. Easy to go to Vans site and price one up.

Another way to look at it: All in for a pretty well equipped 7(A) QB kit, around $100k, engine, avionics, etc...Someone in the market to buy may be able to save $10k, maybe be a little more. If They can’t wrap their head around the completeness issue, free may not be a good price, especially for a new builder. You have to convince your audience the kit is organized and complete. Very few are. Or, you find the guy who knows what he is doing, chances are, they want a bargain.

This may also help:
https://vansaircraft.com/pdf/usedrvkit.pdf

Good luck

Last edited:
Reselling a RV

Just noticed a price change went into effect today for the 7a QB,A new kit & optioned out at your door $41K. After a recent move I toyed with selling my 7a kit.I placed an ad on Barnstormers. That's when the fun ensues. I didn't have everything organized for photos as I was working full time 100 miles away. I have a large work area sealed off that I keep climate controlled temp 70',35% humidity.I have three tail kits,one built,two I picked up over time unstarted from builders who gave up or moved on to the 14. QB wings come with built fuel tanks,flaps & ailerons. SB Fuselage kit unstarted in the crate, As well as the finish kit, 0-360A1D,Tip-up. I have my interior from Classic Aero,exhaust system,Catto Three Blade prop,Sun shade...everything short of radios.All on the East coast.I put the full kit up for 25K and what I got was a bunch of Constipated,blood thirsty sharks looking to defile my bathroom and offer me less then yard sale money.I guess if you haven't gone in a week or two a trip to see an RV kit in a box is just the thing to get you bowls moving.I had to clean up.Not once or twice but three times.First thing, "Can I use your bathroom?","Can my wife & kids use your bathroom?" I've bought and sold stuff on CL for years and never had this problem before. No more sightseers,dreamers might be able to buy one kit at a time.Cash buyers are low offers, Guys with money are buying 14's and shipping them to synergy. If your buyer calls and says they will be there in an hour after a stop at Waffle House.Lock the doors and go for a ride,there not coming to buy.
RHill

Wow! That sounds a bit harsh. I haven?t found things quite that bad, but of course, your experience may be different. I?ve sold my completed airplanes quickly and easily and recovered my investment, but an unfinished kit is a different story. I don?t think it?s realistic to expect more than the cost of the kit if you sell it before it?s finished, I don?t care how many A&P?s helped you build what you?ve finished so far. Your labor is basically worthless and may actually devalue what you have completed. I think you should look at the current cost of the kits you have to sell, compare that to what you paid for them years ago, and look for a price somewhere in the middle, no matter how much work you?ve done on it.
The engine is a different story, and I think it should be sold separately. The IO-390 isn?t a great choice for an RV7 when selling as a complete kit. It has more value by itself because it?s worth more than the airframe kit. Nothing wrong with an IO-390 in an RV7 but it?s an expensive engine.

Thanks!

Thank you all! I really appreciate the feedback, definitely gives me a place to start.

I agree that selling the engine separately is definitely the right path. I'd be happy to sell them together, but I think it's far more likely that it'll end up on the pointy end of a 14 or something else.

I am traveling a lot for the next few weeks (year end for me) but will take a thorough inventory and take some photos.

Lastly, I am not looking to get rich for sure and understand my labor adds nothing to the value or my kit. I'd like to see someone complete it and get it into the air- I'd love it to be me of course, but an airplane should not sit in a garage/hanger collecting dust.

Thanks again- I appreciate all the advice.

Dan

On the RV7 you will want to make sure it has the last style rudder.
if not the builder will have to order it.

See how many Ad's and SB and letters have been complied with in later kits.

Jack

Back