What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Cabin lights

bomber_JB

We've decided everything electrical for our RV-10 except how many and what kind of cabin lights we should plan for. Initial thoughts are some kind of map/reading light for each of the four seats, a dome light and a light for the baggage compartment.

Would appreciate some ideas from builders on what they have installed. Pictures or model numbers of lights will help.

Maybe there are some stick-on LED lights that are battery powered? Would not have to supply aircraft power to them.

Thanks,

Jerry

At least for now, LED flashlights are my planned go-to. If I find the lack of overhead lights to be an issue, running wires and adding lights isn't a big deal.

I've got three types of lighting in my overhead.

1. Directional blue lights to wash the panel
  2. Directional blue lights that is aimed at the lap of both front seats for map reading
  3. Multiple white lights used to load the aircraft at night

After five years, I can't recall ever using the first two types in flight. I've only used the white lights on the ground. There is enough light off my screens that the cockpit is fairly well illuminated.

Take a look at the lights that Stein offers.

Funny the little things I got hung up on during this build. Overhead lights were one of those things. With a full glass panel and lighted switches I didn't feel the need for glare shield lights. The only non-lighted switches are the batteries and alternators. Pretty easy to feel out and with the glass will actually be able to see them.

I still wanted white cabin lights for night time loading and unloading. But I also wanted some type in-flight night lighting if need be. There are some studies out there about which color is the best for retaining night vision. The jist I got from it is that it really doesn't matter if it's a greenish-blue, low intensity white or the tradition red we all know. I did however decide to go with red.

Here is my set up-

IMG_0389.JPG

Have it actually installed now and I like it. I got these all from https://www.pilotlights.net/

Here is a $10 do it yourself overhead LED lights solution. The lights started life as a Harbor Freight battery clip on unit. The battery holder and mounting clip were cut off. I replaced the LEDs with some from Super Bright LEDs (at a few pennies each they are fun to play with).

Both lights are on a dimmer. This simple set up works amazingly well.

Carl
Seat_Belt_hangers.jpg

Not in an RV10... but I wanted lighting that was independent of the aircraft electrical system. Ended up buying inexpensive ($5) LED flashlights at WalMart. They feature a push-button on/off switch at one end and a fixed-focus head. They are installed using Adel clamps around the round body of the flashlight which provides for considerable flexibility in aiming angle.

For something so small and cheap I'm amazed at how often I use them since they provide light in the cockpit without having to turn on the Master. Great for writing down notes about the flight after you've shut down on a dark night, or for finding that one thing you misplaced as you're loading the airplane.

Check out “pilotlights.net” They have a good selection of led light products. I do not have an overhead console, so I used an led down light, dome light. I trimed it so the light blends in with the cabin top center support. It has both white and red led lights incorporated. I also used the mini gooseneck lamps with red leds. Mounted one each on the far right and left side of the panel.

Sean at planearound.com has his LED's back in stock and they are great quality. I had one board that was bad and he sent out a new one ASAP. I used three of those, front seats, rear seats, and baggage area. Then, each seat has an Aveo Eyebeam touch for task lighting. I also added some super cheap flush footwell lights from ACS.

I have one Aveo swivel red/White LED light centrally located on the overhead. It is bright enough to serve as a cabin dome light for boarding etc. I do a lot of night flying and have never wished I had more lights. IMO, a light for every seat would be overkill.

Back