What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-710/714 issue?

amaris

Well Known Member
I think this is officially question #1 of 1,345,580 to come.

I started reviewing the plans compared to the pieces I purchased to see if things were done "right". Not sure how I know if I'm right or not having never built a plane, but at least I'm checking to see if what I think is right makes sense in my head.

Question: I came across what seems to be the first issue. I don't see a cable hole and looks like the 4 holes for fuselage attachment have been riveted. Just want to make sure I'm reading the plans correctly. I didn't see any place mentioned in the instructions about drilling the cable hole, but it was also pretty late last night and may have missed it. I'll double check it tonight when I'm home.

The SB modifications haven't been done, I get that, going to read more about it tonight and see how invasive it will be and if it's worth the potential screw ups I could make.

FullSizeRender-e1472578132526.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks fine to me

At a quick glance, it looks fine to me. You will need to perform the SB work....that part is a must. For the attachment holes that are riveted you will drill those out and enlarge to 3/16" diameter per the plans.

Don't worry about drilling the trim cable hole. That can be done later...and that's if you decide to go with the manual cable trim. If you go electric trim then you don't need to drill the hole.

A good piece of advice is to phone VAN's technical support and refer them to your pic posted here. I've done that a lot and they are willing to help. Makes for a quick answer if you don't/can't wait for the email route.

Last edited:
At a quick glance, it looks fine to me. You will need to perform the SB work....that part is a must. For the attachment holes that are riveted you will drill those out and enlarge to 3/16" diameter per the plans.

Don't worry about drilling the trim cable hole. That can be done later...and that's if you decide to go with the manual cable trim. If you go electric trim then you don't need to drill the hole.

A good piece of advice is to phone VAN's technical support and refer them to your pic posted here. I've done that a lot and they are willing to help. Makes for a quick answer if you don't/can't wait for the email route.

Thanks, Garet. That's a good tip about Van's. They seem great so far.

top left rivet

have them look at the top left rivet (in the pic). Top angle...on the left. The edge distance looks close. It might be ok since its in the thick angle...But measure it if you can and ask VAN'S

Yip, those four outside the bolts need to be drilled out, those take bolts later. I think I did the same thing.....

have them look at the top left rivet (in the pic). Top angle...on the left. The edge distance looks close. It might be ok since its in the thick angle...But measure it if you can and ask VAN'S

I took a measurement of that rivet, it was 7/16" center to the edge.

Garet, you were right. Sterling says it's an issue and recommends replacing the whole spar if I want to try to salvage the rest of the stab.

Now the next question is, do I just order another skin for that side and a bunch of oops rivets??

What a pain!

Well... The choice is yours

Yes...very much a pain indeed. However, you are not alone. In fact, I have built a second horizontal stabilizer as I just wasn't satisfied with mine. In fact, the more you talk with folks who build. This is more common then you think. After all the empennage is where everyone starts, and learns. So there is often mistakes.

It's your choice to fix it, or maybe attempt a second one. No matter what, don't be discouraged. I was devastated when I was faced with this decision but it's part of the build process. Now...I'm very glad I did, and my skills vastly improved in time for the wings.

I look at it this way...if you strap yourself into your plane and feel good about the choices you made along the way. Then you are all good!!

Yes...very much a pain indeed. However, you are not alone. In fact, I have built a second horizontal stabilizer as I just wasn't satisfied with mine. In fact, the more you talk with folks who build. This is more common then you think. After all the empennage is where everyone starts, and learns. So there is often mistakes.

It's your choice to fix it, or maybe attempt a second one. No matter what, don't be discouraged. I was devastated when I was faced with this decision but it's part of the build process. Now...I'm very glad I did, and my skills vastly improved in time for the wings.

I look at it this way...if you strap yourself into your plane and feel good about the choices you made along the way. Then you are all good!!

As my friend put it, I'll know the construction inside and out!

Back