What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-twisted longerons?

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone else who's received early shipments (November) of the RV-12-iS fuselage kit got pre-bent longerons at the aft end -- at first I figured Steps 2 and 3 of Section 23 had already been done?

I did. And they were perfectly bent.

Just one problem, as near as I can figure.

It's the wrong end, unless I'm missing something.

IMG_20180219_133204.jpg

I didn't really notice anything until I went to fit the top piece that's curved and noticed it wasn't tracking properly. Flip the longeron around, 12 7/16" from the forward edge (exactly as the plans said) and it was a perfect fit.

IMG_20180219_131836.jpg

I'm pretty sure, looking at Figure 1 and remembering building the 7A, the twist is supposed to be at the forward end. Right?

Last edited:
Correct, the -7 longerons are twisted at the forward end. I'd expect the same for the -12. In the top photo, I think the left and right are swapped.

Wondering if anyone else who's received early shipments (November) of the RV-12-iS fuselage kit got pre-twisted longerons -- Steps 2 and 3 of Section 23 had already been done?

Hi Bob,

My longerons were pre-bent, but not pre-twisted. They are curved, but lie flat, so I'll have to do steps 2 and 3. I was disappointed they weren't pre-twisted, too!

Last edited:
I just put them together to show that it's the rear that's bent . but maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

When it is time to fit the tail cone you will find that is the way it has to be (and I am pretty sure the KAI mentions the short bends being at the aft end, and a tapered portion that gets trimmed off of the short bent leg).

Back