VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Bell Tailwheel Comments

I read Larry's original post last night about our tailwheel and ACS's and the install technique...I asked my father to comment on it and thought I would pass it on.
I can assure you all that this design is very sturdy, It is being flown currently by Danny King and it appears from his comments back to us that he feels very good about the design.
I will say that my father had no intention of going into business to produce these for profit. He happens to enjoy helping other builders and if someone is interested he will try to help. He has about 6 done now with more to go and we have a list of several who contacted us.
The ACS model looks very good as well and maybe if I had researched it more, I would have simply ordered one...but pops had designed one for his Acro Sport in the past and loves to tinker.
So, here are his words and a new picture of our unit compared to Van's original showing the clearance difference...
Doug B
Manistee MI

I have been told there is some question about how our tailwheel is used with Van's steering hardware--
You simply remove the top nut and steering hardware on your existing unit, remove Van's tailwheel assy. from the tailspring mounting bracket, slip the Bell post and fork assy. into the tailspring bracket, along with Van's coilspring and square key unit. Transfer your wheel onto the new axle bolt with side spacers in place, torque and key the castle nut and you are finished. Hook up your steering link or chains (Everything works the same) and you are ready to fly.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default How do I get on the list!?

Hello Doug...I was seriously thinking of ordering the ACS tailwheel today, but if you and your Dad happen to have one sitting around waiting to ship...I like the ease of installation! The design looks elegant...

Paul Dye
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Destructive testing

Has any destructive testing been done? I know, at least by the sound of the last post, you guys aren't too serious about offering these in mass quantity. But I'm curious whether the welded joint between the fork & shaft would be a weak point, and how much force it would take to break the fork free. The contact area between the fork & shaft looks to be minimal.

Just curious.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (802 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com
Old 01-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Tailwheel strength

Dan,
The finished product is professionally heli-arc welded. The sample shown is the original protype and is tac welded. Danny King is flying with my tailwheel now as my 8 is hibernating for the winter. We have not destructive tested the unit but Danny tried to beat it up pretty good on the cracks and pavement edges around his field....more so than I ever have.
I'll talk to pops about the strength factors and post mre later.
Doug
Old 01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Whelen LED Light Man

Ive already ran my Vans one into enough pavement that Id take one of these.
Just tell me how to get one! Almost got stuck once till I whipped the ponies into a swift gallop enough to raise the tail up. I dont like doing that.

This fork looks like it will be enough to handle most off pavement issues I have.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Put me on the list!

Doug, Can you please confirm that I'm on your list? I'm still a few months away from flying, but I'd like to get one of these before your dad gets tired of making them!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfrdug
I read Larry's original post last night about our tailwheel and ACS's and the install technique...I asked my father to comment on it and thought I would pass it on.
I can assure you all that this design is very sturdy, It is being flown currently by Danny King and it appears from his comments back to us that he feels very good about the design.
Doug B
It wasn't my intention to knock your efforts or product, Doug. Hope you didn't take it that way.
Considering what's next ...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM

Larry,
No offense taken at all....I was just trying to explain better. I think all this discussion is very good. Builders should be concerned to make the best decisions that they can.
Doug
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 PM

I received an Aviation Products tailwheel today. Beautiful work. It slid right on the tail spring perfectly. It gives a much better clearance than the original and I think it is stronger as well.

I think both this unit and Doug Bell's are a lot better than Van's.
N801PT
Old 02-03-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Doug Bell's Tailwheel

Because of Doug Bell's generosity, I have been flying his tailwheel for about a month now, and I like it very much. As he said, I put it through a functionality test taxiing it off the paved surface and then climbing back up on it again. Van's tailwheel would hang up in the same situation.

One builder was taxiing into a hanger with some speed and ripped out the aft two bulkheads when his tailwheel hung up on the hanger rails. IMHO. Doug's tailwheel would have hopped over the rails and saved this builder a lot of grief.

I was going to weld an angle of steel to Van's tailwheel to allow it to scrape its way up a lip, and hopefully not damage the Doll. A much better solution is to replace it with either Doug's tailwheel (if you can get one), or Spruce and Specialty's home builders tailwheel.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2017

Last edited by Danny King : 02-03-2006 at 10:03 AM.