- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Tail wheel

This is a better solution.... My $.02
My new RV 8 has one.
Both of my RV 6s had one and I logged more than 1100 hours with good results.
Mel knows what he is talking about.

JBird
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Inflatable Tailwheel for RV-8?

Does anyone know of an inflatable tailwheel for RV-8?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 PM

To match drill the thing you'll have to take the tail-spring off the plane. Take the old spring over to the drill press and send the drill bit (stopped) through the hole. While it's there, fix the tail spring in this position using whatever clamp/jig/fixture you can devise. Retract the drill, slip on the new swivel assembly, poke the new hole. Done deal.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013
Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 PM

Tailwheel Testimonial. I and two other local RV8 owners have just installed the Aviation Products double fork tailwheel.

Aviation Products, Inc
114 Bryant St.
Ojai, CA 93023
ph/fax (805) 646-6042
(No I'm not selling them)

I have dropped my tailwheel into more than one hidden hole on ramp edges, when taxiing around fly-in etc. We also have some rather old unmaintained military airstrips around with slabs with a darn site more than 2 inch elevation differences. Don't want to hit one of those at 20 knt. If you order, make sure you tell them it's for a Van's RVx. They have different angles and will ream the hole to match your stinger (different than stock bore). I made no effort to pick up the existing holes but milled two new vertical holes and am attaching a saddle with a tiedown ring. Beats having chain around my tailwheel bellcrank. Some of the older RV4s on the field have had the single fork tailwheels for over 10 years with no troubles.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:32 PM

I ordered one this morning. Karen asked what it was for and knew all about the special reaming needed, angles, etc. $239.50 and $7 shipping to the other coast. I'll post info on my site when I swap it out.

Frank, do you have pictures of your vertical bolt, tie-down arrangement?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130WN
I ordered one this morning. Karen asked what it was for and knew all about the special reaming needed, angles, etc. $239.50 and $7 shipping to the other coast. I'll post info on my site when I swap it out.

Frank, do you have pictures of your vertical bolt, tie-down arrangement?
No but will put some up in a couple of days. Basically I just took a piece of thin wall (.035 I think) 4130 tube about the same ID as the tailwheel brkt, cut it to length, sliced off a 1/4 round, drilled matching holes to the bracket and welded a ring to it. You can mount it on top or bottom picking up the tailwheel mounting bolts.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM

I had an interesting discussion with Karen at Aviation Products this afternoon. The catalog page that is displayed on the website referenced in an earlier post is a photocopy of the ACS catalog page, and ACS only lists a 10 deg. angle for the rod style spring that Van's uses while I measured the angle of my Van's unit at about 18 deg. Karen told me that they can supply 10, 15 or 20 deg. units. After a discussion with the guy who designed them, I opted for the 20 deg. unit for my RV-8.

If you order this unit you also need to tell them that is is for an RV as Van's uses a .635 diameter spring and Aviation Products will ream out their unit from their standard .625 to .635 for you.

Really nice people and easy to deal with.
N801PT
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Default TW Angles

Thanks for the heads-up on the angle issue.

Jay Pratt - which angle are you using on your RV's?

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Another note on the Aviation Products tailwheels. The part number for the 6" dual fork tailwheel for a rod tail spring is incorrect in the ACS catalog, so don't just order by part number. Just tell them it is for an RV and they'll know which one you want.

I would also be interested in know what angle those who have installed them used and how it came out installed. When I spoke with them, they seemed surprised that people were asking for the 10 deg. unit, but I expect that was due to the fact that ACS only listed that one. They asked me to measure the angle of my Van's tailwheel as well as verify the rod diameter. I measured 18 deg. and .635" diameter. When Van's copied the Aviation Products unit, they changed the diameter slightly. Since my plane is still under construction, I don't know how close to vertical the unit sits when installed, so I can't measure the optimum angle, only compare with Van's. Since I am putting 6" mains on my 8, I opted for the 20 deg. angle, since the increased size of the mains will change the angle slightly. Obviously the goal is to have the unit as close to vertical as possible with weight in the plane (weight will cause the rod spring to flex a little) so it would be good if someone could verify an actual installation.
N801PT
Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 AM

When I ordered mine, I just told her it was for an RV. She knew the exact part number.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold