I installed a homemade AOA probe on my RV-12 wing and connected it to the Dynon D-180. It works great! Total cost is about $10.
2 sports ball inflating needles
1 plastic plug with 1/8" NPT threads
1/16" I.D. 1/8" O.D. Tygon tubing available here:
See pictures for location of hole to be drilled in leading edge of wing. Put a dab of 5-Minute epoxy glue on the needle, and stuck it into the hole from the outside of the wing. A piece of tape held the needle in place until the glue set (24 hours). The hole should be drilled in the same rib bay that is accessible through the stall vane access cover. The Tygon tubing is a tight fit over the inflating needle. No clamp is necessary. The plastic plug is used to make a bushing to adapt the inflating needle to the AOA port on the back of the Dynon D-180. After cutting the square head off from the plastic plug, ream out the hole in the plug to 1/4". Put the inflating needle in a vise, threaded end up. Use wood to protect the needle from the vise jaws. Briefly heat the needle with a torch. Push and turn the plastic plug down onto the needle threads. Too much heat will damage the needle or plastic. The object is for the needle threads to melt their way into the plastic plug. A tap could be used instead of heat, but the taps are an odd size, difficult to find, and expensive.
I routed the Tygon tube along the inside of the fuselage instead of through the center tunnel.
Another needle (with the threads cut off) can be used as a coupling at the wing root if desired.
After calibrating the AOA per Dynon D-180 installation manual, the AOA indication appeared on the screen and I began using it. Even though I have never used AOA before, I found the display easier to interpret than airspeed numbers. On that very first flight using AOA, I was able to land on a very short private strip without floating off the end of the runway.
Advantages of AOA: