Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Default EFII map fluctuations

Hi gang:

I have the dual EFII system and I'm struggling a bit to get the fuel settings dialed in to where I want them.

I now have it programmed so that I get a good start and warm up.

I've noticed on three different occasions that I'll have the RPM/fuel set to where I have AFR readings in the low 13's where I want them only to discover the next time I run the engine a few days later that it will be too lean by quite a bit.

I do put the values lock on each time I have them set, so the fuel numbers have not changed.

The barametric pressure did change quite a bit between the different days.

While running the engine I get a lot of fluctuation showing on the MAP reading on the gauge page. At idle this morning the reading was rapidly changing between 9.8 and 10.5.

At 1750 RPM the MAP was rapidly changing between 16.1 and 17.

By rapidly I mean you can barely read the numbers as they switch back and forth.

Is this normal?

I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad MAP sensor. I thought about switching the MAP sensor from the other ECM but was reluctant to crawl under the dash again.

Thoughts?

Terry.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:31 AM

You should be able to switch between ECU's with a toggle on the panel somewhere, right? Each ECU has its own MAP sensor, so that should isolate the sensor issue.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Default MAP signal

Hi Terry,
Where is your MAP sensor getting its pressure source.
It should be on the throttle body for the most stable pressure (not on one cylinder). Your kit was delivered with two .020" orifice adapters than can be used to dampen the pressure signal - are these installed?

You can simply switch the plugs between the two MAP sensors if you want to swap them between ECUs to see what they do,
Robert
Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Default EFII map fluctuations

The map source is on the aluminum adapter plate between the throttle body and the intake manifold.

I had that apart today and did not notice the .020 orifice. There is a reduction in the aluminum plate, but it was larger than the .042 safety wire I stuck in there to check for obstructions.

I was reading the SDS manual and they suggested a .025 to .035 restrictor to dampen the MAP fluctuations. I installed a .030 restrictor in the line today and it calmed things down quite a bit. If I should have a .020 orifice that might settle it down completely. I'll try that tomorrow.

I still don't understand why the fuel map requirements would change from day to day, but I'll keep working on it.

The next time I notice this I will try running on the secondary fuel injection and or switch the plugs on the two MAP sensors.

The other thing I wonder about is that I have the Dynon map sensor tee'd into this same line, could that be an issue?

Thanks for the help, terry.