- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Thanks all

Ok thanks everyone for the quick and thoughtful repsonses.

So I have decided no mods on the fuel senders, I will stick with what is tried and proven.

You are all right, what was I thinking?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Default Your thinking was fine!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. You did the right thing by researching before you jumped in.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-14-2017, 01:15 PM

I installed a fuel flow meter (red cube) in my aircraft, and now that i've used it I regret not installing two of them... One on each tank. I use an MGL gauge to read left and right levels (from the resisitive senders) and the fuel flow (from the red cube). Flow is used to show a total used number (which is combined for both tanks). The total used matches what I put in at the pump to within 1L out of a full tank. I only look at the levels as a rough guide, even after repeated calibrations and tweaking of set points I haven't managed to get them to read accurately (like, 3-4L off at some points).

Two flow meters would be mounted outside the tank, saving more volume inside for fuel. Less things to fail inside the tank, less holes through to the tank that might leak later, etc. etc.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I installed a fuel flow meter (red cube) in my aircraft, and now that i've used it I regret not installing two of them... One on each tank. I use an MGL gauge to read left and right levels (from the resisitive senders) and the fuel flow (from the red cube). Flow is used to show a total used number (which is combined for both tanks). The total used matches what I put in at the pump to within 1L out of a full tank. I only look at the levels as a rough guide, even after repeated calibrations and tweaking of set points I haven't managed to get them to read accurately (like, 3-4L off at some points).

Two flow meters would be mounted outside the tank, saving more volume inside for fuel. Less things to fail inside the tank, less holes through to the tank that might leak later, etc. etc.
Works great until it doesn't. i have had a fuel flow sender fail slowly. I discovered it while I was flying a long leg. My fuel level senders are amazingly accurate once they get off the top of the tank. I noticed the issue through my normal scan, checking my level against the totalizer. I have four fuel status relative checks - fuel totalizer - fuel level - clock and brain - and to a much lesser degree, fuel flow.
I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Fuel level senders (one per tank) and a separate fuel totalizer system when used together are unbeatable in my opinion. Granted, the fuel level senders don't sense the top of the tank but that's not all that useful anyway. Sensing the bottom levels and comparing that to what the totalizer is telling you is useful.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 06-14-2017, 02:46 PM

I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of the stock Van's resistive system combined with Skyview's fuel flow totalizer. The red cube has been amazingly accurate and the resistive fuel measurement is a good gross confirmation that I don't have a leak in addition to also being accurate compared to the totalizer and refuel totals after they come off the top. I have more confidence in the fuel measurements in my RV than I did in the military or airlines.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynew View Post
I am extremely pleased with the accuracy of the stock Van's resistive system combined with Skyview's fuel flow totalizer. The red cube has been amazingly accurate and the resistive fuel measurement is a good gross confirmation that I don't have a leak in addition to also being accurate compared to the totalizer and refuel totals after they come off the top. I have more confidence in the fuel measurements in my RV than I did in the military or airlines.
Same here. I started with capacitive senders in the tanks and had nothing but trouble with them, ended up going back to the standard resistive floats. My Red Cube totalizer is my primary fuel instrument though, with the resistive floats as a backup to guard against a leak somewhere before the totalizer. The resistive floats won't read the top 4 gallons in each tank and I really don't care anymore. I set the fuel computer to 36 gallons each time I top off, and it matches gallons pumped extremely well.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Oh I was thinking one set was for inverted flight.
* Mid Fuselage Complete
* Aft Fuselage Complete
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 AM

I have duel senders in each tank - I used the senders provided by CIES (think Cirrus/Beechcraft among others). Works great and is incredibly accurate. I get readings all the way to empty. Never have I experienced any deviation in reading versus actual! Highly recommended.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Default Another approach

Although resistive float senders are endorsed above, I read many negative comments in the archives about accuracy and reliability. In fact as installed, either the sender or the gauge didn't work. Yes, that could been resolved . But, I stripped them out and replaced them with simple optical sensors ( referenced here in archives) that trigger flashing lights with " yes/no" simplicity. I never leave the ground without measuring fuel levels and update the totalizer. The Red cube has been very accurate, two might be an enhancement but which one would you believe ? Then you look at your watch and flow rate for truth anyway. Bottom line, the low level sensor lights tell you accurately how much time is left in that tank or " don't land " on that tank if you have set the sensor low. I have set mine at about 2 1/2 gallon.
Clinton, IN