- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Default Thoughts on dual senders in each tank

I am curious what y'all think about using dual senders in each tank? I was thinking of installing another sender in the outer bay. Seems really easy to do before the baffle is installed.
1) can the G3x calibrate with a resistance range from 64 to 480 ohm? If not I guess i could put a resistor in parallel.
2) is it worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2017, 07:15 AM
hall monitor

What is the rational for two senders?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 AM

So the fuel gauge comes off of full sooner. A friend of mine has a Bonanza that has 2 float-type senders in each tank for just that reason. A non-issue for me with the advent of accurate fuel totalizers but it could be done.
Senior Tech - Panel Design, SteinAir, Inc.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM
hall monitor

Just wondering about the value of the added complexity just to know the tank is nearly full......

If the second sender ever needed service the tank would have to be removed.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Default Reason? We dont need no stinking reasons.....

I was thinking of using two senders so that i would start reading the fuel usage and true gallons remaining earlier. This would give me a more accurate range reading as I finish climb out and start cruise. So as soon as i get lean, i could have a accurate range reading.

I guess if I use enough fuel in climb to start dropping the stock fuel senders, it wouldnt matter because until I set the cruise fuel flow, any range calcualted based on fuel flow and galoons remaining wouldnt be accurate anyway.

Maybe i am over thinking this; maybe pre flight planning would tell me when I would start seeing the gauges come off the pegs?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Wings 50%
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I was thinking of using two senders so that i would start reading the fuel usage and true gallons remaining earlier. This would give me a more accurate range reading as I finish climb out and start cruise. So as soon as i get lean, i could have a accurate range reading.

I guess if I use enough fuel in climb to start dropping the stock fuel senders, it wouldnt matter because until I set the cruise fuel flow, any range calcualted based on fuel flow and galoons remaining wouldnt be accurate anyway.

Maybe i am over thinking this; maybe pre flight planning would tell me when I would start seeing the gauges come off the pegs?
Everything you are trying to accomplish is good - full knowledge of your fuel state relative to your trip plan is a huge comfort, and takes a lot of worry of the pilot's shoulders. Which is why fuel flow gauges and totalizers have become pretty much standard in today's digital environment. Even the simplest engine monitoring part of any EFIS (or a standalone EMS) will have a totalizer. And they work great, for not very much money. Rather than reinventing the wheel with a double gauge system that might take a lot of tweaking, you might look at how such a system would serve your purpose.

From your signature, you've got a ways to go - and when people have completed their aircraft, and are looking back at what they thought were significant expenses in the early days, they wonder why they were worried about a couple of hundred bucks. A drop in the bucket when looking at the final big picture.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM

Default Recommendation?

Paul,
Thanks for the very thoughtful answer. So if you were me, would you put dual senders in, or just rely on fuel totalizer?

Wings 50%
Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM

I am not Paul, and would never pretend to be. BUT, I have inspected many, many fuel system modifications and I would NOT recommend this mod. It adds unnecessary complexity, cost, and weight to a system that has been proven over decades with literally thousands of flying aircraft.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default Don't get fooled

So at the end of the day the question will always remain: do you trust the fuel gauges? Regardless of how many ways we try to measure the fuel, the best indicator is your watch.

You can fool the indications by parking on a ramp with a slope that is ever so slight that you think both tanks have an equal amount of fuel in them. Even when you check them visually, they can look the same. The reality is that one tank can be much lower than you think.

I just had a friend loose his airplane to this scenario. The tank ran dry much earlier than anticipated due to reliance on an indication.

As Mel said, don't mess with the fuel system. It's proven itself over many flying RV's. The other thing that has been proven is that the resistive floats do fail and need replacing. MUCH easier to just do the one at the wing root.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)

Last edited by vic syracuse : 06-14-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM

For me the totalizer is the instrument to look at for a precise measurement.

The gauges are only there to give me a chance to discover a leak before it gets quiet.
RV-14 kit #140138
working on the fuselage kit
wings done, tail kit almost done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se