VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Default Building tools

I'm in the process of looking for all the tooling needed for the rv10 build and I know a couple companies have pre arranged van's builders kits. I'm just wondering if there's any tool's in these kits that just aren't needed. I plan on getting the lever type dimpler instead of the hammer type, the air rivet squeezer instead of the manual style, and just using a couple cordless drills vs the air one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as who ended up being the best supplier for stuff needed.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM

I customized a kit from Cleaveland Tools. However I have added many more tools since then...
Donated for 2017
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM

I purchased the Isham kit with a few changes. Isham was great to work with and includes the DRDT and pneumatic squeezer you referenced. Planetools.com

He makes his RV10 kit include a few extras specific for the -10. Looking back on VAF threads people have been very happy with his kit.

I did get dimple dies from Cleveland, and most other tools I plan on getting in addition to the kit will mostly be from Cleveland.

Last edited by iwannarv : 06-13-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 PM

I bought my kit from Isham. Planetools.com. VERY happy with the kit and customer service. I ordered a flat end yoke for the squeezer (not in the kit). When I ran into a rivet that it didn't have enough of a squeeze for, I contacted Isham and next day they sent me an extended die to take care of the issue, free of charge! I was very impressed with the customer service. Highly recommend! The only tools in kit I feel I haven't used much are the "tin snips". There were 3 in the set. I've used one. But, I'm far from done, so time will tell if they will be utilized down the road.
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Fuse 1% done, QB Wings on the way.
Dues Paid 2017
Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

awesome, this is great to get some valuable feedback. The tin snips are one thing I was curious about as well, be great if anybody who's completed the 10 pipe in on if they've actually used them all?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Send an email to Mike or Annette at Cleaveland Tools. They had an Excel spreadsheet that compared their kits to Isham's kits component by component. I spend considerable time going over it and it looks like their (Cleaveland's) prices are a bit better.

FWIW I do use the snips occasionally where the bandsaw just won't work well.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM

Thanks Randy, I'll give that a shot. With our horrible dollar we really need to find the best value 👍 Haha
Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 PM

I finished up awhile ago but your initial take is a good one. Esp the DRDT.

I would get a pnuematic drill since you'll have the needed air and high speed is good for aluminum work... and fast. Big and small electrics are good too so get them as well. Much further down the line I found that a small electric driver with an adjustable ratchet for driving various sized screws to be very useful.

Never used the snips which surprised me. Still wondering where they are best used other than on my jon boat.

You'll definitely need a hand squeezer in addition to the pneumatic one.

I bought from Isam as well. Based on comments here, it was a good decision. However the best thing that happened was doing a week at a build assist place where I had a chance to sample multiple examples of the the basic tools. It was amazing how fast each of us students gravitated to one brand of tool over another. No idea how you might get the same experience but if you have a chance to use someone else's tools, take it.

Enjoy
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline5.9 View Post
Thanks Randy, I'll give that a shot. With our horrible dollar we really need to find the best value 👍 Haha
Lol. No kidding!

If you're looking for a DRDT2 Dimpler, Aircraft Spruce in Brantford will be the best deal by far owing to lower shipping costs.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Another plug for Cleaveland. I called and talked to Mike a few years ago when I purchased my kit. I asked him what most people upgrade and instead of just buying the basic kit, we got the tools that made sense.

The service from Mike and Annette can't be beat. Sure, you can save a few pennies here and there buy purchasing elsewhere, but they stand behind their products and if you encounter any issues, they'll take care of you.
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
1980 Piper Archer II
2017 Dues Paid