- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2017, 02:48 PM

So what exactly happened ??
Old 06-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Ever watched a car on a trailer? The car gets a lot of amplified motion as the dynamics of the two vehicles don't work together. I'll bet the RV-12 got a heck of a ride.

Dave
Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Ever watched a car on a trailer? The car gets a lot of amplified motion as the dynamics of the two vehicles don't work together. I'll bet the RV-12 got a heck of a ride.
It is definitely possible.

That is why during some extended trailering discussions here in the forum a few years ago, I recommended a trailer that would provide for a support/anchor post for the aft end of the tail.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Default tell us

Don, the suspense is killing me here, what exactly happened ?.

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
.... a trailer that would provide for a support/anchor post for the aft end of the tail.
Never a bad idea, but it's not strictly necessary. I use a tailpost A-frame for all the conventional gear airplanes, but none for the tricycles. Done thousands of miles with probably 30~35 different airframes on this trailer, many twice...Cubs, an Ercoupe, a Cessna or two, a bunch of mixed EAB's, and at last count, five RV's, all trikes except for this handsome example .

I do tie the tails on the trikes in much the same place as the steel A-frame. Mostly they're immobilized with nailed chocks and multiple tiedowns at the wing roots. They are a bit more towards the rear of the trailer, but the CG is still well forward of the trailer axles.

Last edited by DanH : 06-08-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 PM

[IMG][/IMG]I will try to answer some questions, hopefully without making this a long boring post.
This Harbor Freight trailer is more than enough trailer to haul an RV12. This is my third one, and I have hauled the "other" 12 and wings on it a number of times o- but not both at the same time. I in fact removed a spring leaf from it to make the ride easier. I made a lot of mistakes, here are some that led to this situation:
My Viking powered plane is heavier on the nose, so it gave a proper load distribution, the Rotax is lighter and created an unbalanced load. I had not calculated this into the planning. I also had NEVER hauled the wings AND the plane at the same time. When loaded at Del Rio, it "seemed" to be a balanced load. Nine miles down the road, a tire failure, put on the spare and went another 500 yards and the other tire failed!. Now with no more spares and unable to locate one, I unhooked the trailer and headed to town. When unhitching, it was obvious that the load was WAAAAY tail heavy, no way that load was going all the way to Harlingen TX! I went back to Del Rio to get a U Haul trailer - there were none closer than San Antonio! Finally found a trailer sales that had one that would do the job. Keep in mind my plane was barely off the road, was raining, and getting dark. It was not my day, while the dealer was checking the tires and lights on the new trailer, an employee backed into my car, $1875.00 in damage! Did I mention that the day before while at a stoplight, some gal rammed into the rear?
Anyhow now I have a trailer that will do the job, all I have to do is winch the little trailer onto the big one. All going fine until a ramp broke, dumping into this photo. Finally got it winched up and tied down, home with no other problems, I had enough for the day.
Alll this because even though I have been a pilot for 50 years, and had 17.5 hrs and 47 landings in an identical plane, I had no current flight review! Next time, I am not going to let some little squiggly line in my log book determine what to do. I should have just flown it home!
[IMG][/IMG]
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903

Last edited by DonFromTX : 06-08-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM

Don , with luck like that , aren't you glad you were on the ground.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 PM

It was more about no other alternatives than saving a buck really.
NOBODY wants to fly one of these! I begged for a pilot, everybody had the same excuse, they had never seen a Skyview and had never flown a 12. Bob Bogash had flown it down to Del Rio from Washington state and got weathered in went back home. I actually considered flying him back down here to finish the last leg!
noRV12QUOTE=Planecrazy232;1179152]Some of the things we do to save a buck...[/quote]
Retired US Army Officer
Old 06-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Don, I'm sure several of us would have been glad to fly at home for you if you weren't so blasted far away.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 06-09-2017, 07:20 AM

You are correct, and also making it hard to do was that no airline flies into Del Rio! One would have had to rent a car in San Antonio and drive over there.

QUOTE=DaleB;1179215]Don, I'm sure several of us would have been glad to fly at home for you if you weren't so blasted far away.[/quote]
Retired US Army Officer