Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 PM

I have a backup hand held radio that I carry in case my main radio goes out. Obviously not as convenient but rules out the "no radio" scenario. Also I will be installing an audio panel for the purpose of 4 place intercom and music interface. Looking at the possibly of adding second radio since I already have an audio panel, but I like the monitoring feature of the single radio.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 PM

The Dynon SV COMM dual-watch works pretty good, as long as your ATC isn't too busy. Here in SoCal there is so much traffic on ATC I have to listen for ages to get the ATIS on the standby frequency between chatter on the primary frequency. The dual-watch sound can be kind of choppy sounding, since it is hopping back and forth between the standby and primary frequency, but in most cases if you are just trying to get ATIS it works great. I've thought about adding a second SV COMM, but really haven't had a need being VFR only. The Dynon intercom handles 2 COMM's but you have to install a switch to select which one you want to transmit/listen to, so it really isn't a good solution as compared to a real audio panel.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 06-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Dual Dynon comms

They work great and with Dynon it is plug and play as likely know. I had two set up in my RV7 and loved it, just had single switch for transmit select, Both fed into the intercom 100% of the time, so volume control was used to select audio. If you have an audio panel that will define Com 1 and Com 2 for you as well. I highly recommend you rethink about spending 250$ for the Dynon GPS antenna, I can't imagine having a high quality HDX 10" display and no moving map, synthetic vision, traffic (TIS), etc... for such a small investment and such an improvement in situational awareness, in my book, the later is priceless and I would go even further, the ASB out/in has proved so helpful in high traffic areas....staying alert OUTSIDE the cockpit is still so very important, but if you try it too, I doubt you will regret the $$$ to get traffic and map into your cockpit. Just a thought and kindly suggestion.
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 06-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Yes sir I did opt for the gps antennae.