- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Dual Comm Setup with no GPS

Not putting a built in GPS in my-10. Question is how do most setup a dual comm system? Usually see the GPS receiver as comm 1 with a different comm radios as comm 2. I'm running a Dynon Skyview HDX with the Dynon comm radio. Do I just run duplicate Dynon Comm Radios for comm 1 and comm 2? Not sure that I've seen any modern panels with duplicate radio setup.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM

OMG -- no standalone panel mounted GPS! Please don't tell us you are also going to rely on paper charts! Oh the humanity. Seriously, not a Dynon guy but a second Dynon radio seems the easiest solution if you want dual NAV/COMS. That's how SPAM cans did it forever (ie two KX155s, two ARC whatever's, etc).
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 06-08-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM

If you're VFR only a panel-mounted (hardwired) GPS is silly. There's one built into the Skyview, and any tablet-based or portable solution will work just fine.

I think Dynon has said two of their comm radios will work just fine--you will only be able to "push" frequencies to one of them from the Skyview display, but otherwise they'll work.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrews View Post
Not putting a built in GPS in my-10. Question is how do most setup a dual comm system? Usually see the GPS receiver as comm 1 with a different comm radios as comm 2. I'm running a Dynon Skyview HDX with the Dynon comm radio. Do I just run duplicate Dynon Comm Radios for comm 1 and comm 2? Not sure that I've seen any modern panels with duplicate radio setup.

Thanks
Depending on how you intend to fly, a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency. This is essentially the same functionality as two radios without the flip-flop and an audio panel.

Modern radios are very reliable, You might do,just fine with one for basic VFR.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Dual A-210s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrews View Post

Thanks
I have dual ICOM A-210 radios connected to a Garmin GMA-240 audio panel. Typically use COMM 1 for Unicom / ATC and COMM 2 for AWOS.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
268 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 AM

The Dynon radio works great in my RV-10, I recommend it.

The SkyView will provide superior GPS performance to most panel mounted TSO GPS navigators, and will also provide 2020 compliant ADS-B out.

If you pick the SL-30 for one of your radios you will have a superb radio and what I consider the best VOR/ILS receiver out there. While you cannot shoot GPS approaches (legally) with the SkyView, you can do ILS approaches with the SL-30. The SL-30 feeding the SkyView HSI works well (have done this in an RV-8A)

Carl
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Ahh, ok, looks like I don't need two comms for what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is monitor the atis while having atc on active. Looks like the Dynon radio allows you to do this already.

From Dynon website:

"Don't Miss a Thing: Dual watch allows you to listen for transmissions on both your active and standby frequencies simultaneously, with the active taking priority at all times. Use dual watch to monitor an alternate frequency in busy airspace or listen to ATIS without missing anything on the active. "
Old 06-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeyes View Post
Depending on how you intend to fly, a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency. This is essentially the same functionality as two radios without the flip-flop and an audio panel.

Modern radios are very reliable, You might do,just fine with one for basic VFR.

Perfect. Thank you James. This is the case with the Dynon radio.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Monitoring the second frequency is nice, but it IS NOT the same as having 2 radios. First of all, if a radio fails, then you go from 2 frequencies to zero in a single com setup. That has happened before. Second, if you are monitoring the standby frequency, it mutes any time you receive on the primary, so a busy freq on primary makes the standby monitor function useless.

There are ways to have 2 COM's without an audio panel. That is what I would do.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeyes View Post
...a lot of modern radios have the capability to not only "flip-flop" between two frequencies, but give you the ability to monitor the backup frequency.
Yes, my Icom A210 does that. In the DUAL mode you can listen to both the active and standby frequencies (The active has priority, of course). I use that quite often to listen to destination ATIS while I'm with ATC. I'm poor and only have one radio and no panel-mounted GPS.