VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM
rvdave rvdave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 236
Default Rear seat belts

Vans no longer sells the 4 point rear seat belts for the 10, only 5 point. I've already removed the 5th attach point and already have the vans front belts. Anyone know the source vans was using for their belts so I can match what I already have in the front?
__________________
Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,309
Default

Maybe you can sub another set of fronts for the rear. I'm going out to my hangar this afternoon and can see if they are in fact the same belts.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,309
Default Follow-up

So the front seat harnesses are different than the rear seat ones (I just never really noticed) to that won't work. ACS, Wicks, and Wag-Aero appear to have seatbelts & harnesses that could replace the 4-point one that Van's used to sell. The websites are particularly helpful in trying to figure out the right model so best to take a measurement a call them to get the right replacement.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 AM
NovaBandit's Avatar
NovaBandit NovaBandit is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 567
Default

This sounds strange to me.

I have 4 identical sets of Crow harnesses in my plane. They all fit fine. They were all ordered as 5 point harnesses, and I just didn't install the anti-sub belt.

No idea about the ones that you order from Van's though...
__________________
Ed Kranz
RV-10 N829EC - Flying
First Flight: 8/29/15
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
This sounds strange to me.

I have 4 identical sets of Crow harnesses in my plane. They all fit fine. They were all ordered as 5 point harnesses, and I just didn't install the anti-sub belt.

No idea about the ones that you order from Van's though...
The issue is apparently matching his current belts. The online catalog only lists the 5-point and only in black. You could just drop the crotch strap but the color could still be an issue.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
jwilbur jwilbur is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrenton, VA
Posts: 561
Default

Where the front belts attach to the cabin top, there's a curve to the connecting bracket which doesn't exist for the rear seat belts.
__________________
-Joe Wilbur (N520LW)
First flight - 8/2017
Pink slip - 7/2017
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Carl Froehlich's Avatar
Carl Froehlich Carl Froehlich is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dogwood Airpark (VA42)
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Vans no longer sells the 4 point rear seat belts for the 10, only 5 point. I've already removed the 5th attach point and already have the vans front belts. Anyone know the source vans was using for their belts so I can match what I already have in the front?
As already mentioned, you could just get the Van's belt and leave off the center strap.

For those building, recommend leaving in the center strap attach point. Even if you don't use it, it comes in handy as a tie down if you are hauling stuff with the rear seats out.

Don't forget to make sure your rear seats have a slot for the center strap.

I'm using Hooker belts on my planes - I'm happy with them.

Carl
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 AM
rvdave rvdave is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
Where the front belts attach to the cabin top, there's a curve to the connecting bracket which doesn't exist for the rear seat belts.
Is that the only difference with The Vans belts? I thought there was a length difference between front and rear?

Found out from Vans the one man shop that supplied their belts is no longer so they are referring people to other vendors.

Long story short I'm ordering rear Crow harnesses and eventually will replace fronts to match.
__________________
Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dumfries, VA
Posts: 2,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Is that the only difference with The Vans belts? I thought there was a length difference between front and rear?

Found out from Vans the one man shop that supplied their belts is no longer so they are referring people to other vendors.

Long story short I'm ordering rear Crow harnesses and eventually will replace fronts to match.
No - the front belts are a Y design in that the left and right harnesses come together into a single strap about 6-7" long before it terminates at the fitting/clip. The rear harnesses both go all the fitting/clip and do not merge beforehand and the overall harness length is shorter than the front ones.
__________________
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 AM
jwilbur jwilbur is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrenton, VA
Posts: 561
Default

I've got Crow harnesses. As Todd says the lengths are different between front and back, but the rear belts also come together and have a single attach point at the anchor - same as the front belts.
__________________
-Joe Wilbur (N520LW)
First flight - 8/2017
Pink slip - 7/2017
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.