VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Zero oil pressure

After changing all of the hoses per the 5-year recommendation, I started the engine to check for any leaks and the alarm went off, showing zero oil pressure. I did not have any issues with the sending unit up to that time.
I have read previous blogs, going back for some years and not sure what the consensus is for the best sending unit replacement. I have logged 260 hours and have the Dynon 180 efis.
I intend to move the sending unit to the firewall as has been recommended by many.

Gary
Old 06-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Did you purge the oil system after changing the hoses? Good chance there's nothing wrong with the sender if the system was not purged per the manual.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Part of a properly completed purge procedure is to turn the engine over by hand until an oil pressure reading is attained so you shouldn't be starting the engine after this type of maint. and being surprised by there being no oil pressure.

With the D-180, the oil pressure sensor is fed its reference voltage from the aircraft electrical system so if you somehow started the engine but then had the master switch turned off with the screen operating on its backup battery, the oil pressure would read zero

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-05-2017, 10:26 AM

On the 912 series engine, I'd always pull the cap off the oil bottle and rotate the prop by hand until hearing the oil burping in the oil tank.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
With the D-180, the oil pressure sensor is fed its reference voltage from the aircraft electrical system so if you somehow started the engine but then had the master switch turned off with the screen operating on its backup battery, the oil pressure would read zero
Or had the D-180 operating on the backup battery (cause I bumped the button while getting in) with the avionics switch off. Don't ask how I know!
Davenport, IA

Last edited by MartySantic : 06-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.