- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM

Ah, Yep. It sure would.

RV-10
-Flying!

Dues Paid 11/3/2016
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yeah I did consider the bulkhead spacing idea, but unfortunately the gap isn't parallel to the spinner either (it's about a perfect 1/8" on top, and down to 1/16" or a little less on the bottom) so even if it could be done it wouldn't get things perfect. Since on the firewall side everything is already perfectly aligned, cut, and drilled, I'm probably going to have to take some material off the front face of the cowl, reinforcing as necessary from behind as suggested by a few.

Now y'all have me worried about the 1/8" gap not being enough though! Anyone out there build to the spec 1/8" gap and have problems to the point where they wish they had made it bigger? Frankly, I'm not really as concerned about show-quality tight gaps or anything like that... if it looks ok, flies the same, and is just as safe I can see the justification for widening it up a bit. That said, I've already built it now with a tight gap, and it will be less work to make it an even 1/8" all the way around vs. taking additional material off.

As an aside, I've also aligned the cowl to be about 1/8" low to account for eventual engine sag. I'm hoping this is a good number to go with, as it too is pretty well set in stone (well, fiberglass...) and would be pretty difficult to alter at this time.

RV-10 In progress! (N165MJ reserved)
-Emp & Wings complete
-Panel wired up, working on Fuse & Finish
-Blog horribly outdated (sorry)
-Fingers crossed for 2017 flight!

http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/
http://www.eaa33.org/
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch22 View Post
Ah, Yep. It sure would.

The spinner back plate will move forward (increasing the cowl to spinner gap) if you went from 8 washers to 4 washers or no washers between the hub and the back spinner plate (but still using the spinner to bulkhead spacer).

Look at page 3-12 of the Hartzell manual. You must retain the spacer, but which side of the spinner back plate you put the three washers is your decision.

For you, I would put one washer with the spacer, and two washers under the back plate nut. That 1/16" should be all you need gain for your gap spacing.

Carl
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Default sag with age.....

I saw closer to 1/4" sag after about 400 h of flying (RV7), but did not bring out the caliper to confirm...So I think you did good and if it drops a little, that looks and flies just fine too! This is clearly one of those topics/areas that one can get "spun around the prop" about, measure in microns, etc.... and in the end, when it is flying, and paint is on the bird, it just won't matter.
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it