- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanstory View Post
I think you and I are about the same stage in the build. I started my tail section in February and am about 2 weeks from completion. Finishing up tail cone now and then attach/fit all the tail feathers.

I originally ordered QB Wings and Fuse at same time as Emp Kit due to backlog. Later decided to cancel QB Fuse and change it to slow build. This is due to some soundproofing and mods I want to make. From what others on forum say, it's much too hard to make some changes to fuse after it's put together (removing riveted sections, etc...). As well as some builders posted that the fuse kit was the most enjoyable part of the build for them.

Also, lead time on QB kits (at that time) was 7 months! Assuming that's still true, if you order now, it'll be 2018 before you see either one of them. If you're approaching end of emp kit, you may have a lot of down time before any QB kits show up. A standard build kit only takes a few weeks to arrive. This lets me start work on fuse while I wait for wings. No down time with nothing to work on.
Thanks Randy. I'm not quite moving along as quickly as you are. I figure I'm about half way through the empennage, perhaps a bit less. Can I ask what you are planning to modify with respect to the fuselage that can't be done with the quickbuild? I'm aware of tunnel heat issues that some have complained about.

I hear you on the lead times for the qb's. I'm going to be away for two months this summer during which time I won't be building so the wait may be a little less important from my perspective. I've emailed Barb at Van's to see what they are saying with respect to this.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaglia View Post
I just finished the tailcone. I ordered the QB wings and SB fuse about 2 months ago and am receiving the SB fuse next Monday. I also read how many people really enjoyed the fuse build as each piece was different and could see the shape of the plane come together which is why I decided to build. As for the QB wings when I placed the order in early April I was told October for delivery. I figure I should have a big chunk of the fuse done by then. In addition, I have read there isn't a whole lot of work to do to the wings. I didn't attach the tail feathers as I am space limited. Once I move into my second garage and kick both my car and wife's car out I will attach them. Planning the ordering of the kits whether SB or QB is crucial to maintaining a consistent build time.
Thanks Mark. I think what you've written is very valid. I've read others on this forum who say the same thing. Hmmmmmmmm.......decisions.
2017 dues paid
Old 06-06-2017, 08:36 AM

I just heard from Barbara at Van's today and the lead time for QB kits for the 10 are currently down to 4 months.

I definitely want to do qb wings. I'm waffling on the fuselage. I think the main advantage of doing the slow build from what I'm reading is having the ability to insulate the tunnel. Is it really that big of an issue? Do the guys that quick built the fuselage have regrets because of those issues? I guess that is the deciding factor.
2017 dues paid
Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
I just heard from Barbara at Van's today and the lead time for QB kits for the 10 are currently down to 4 months.

I definitely want to do qb wings. I'm waffling on the fuselage. I think the main advantage of doing the slow build from what I'm reading is having the ability to insulate the tunnel. Is it really that big of an issue? Do the guys that quick built the fuselage have regrets because of those issues? I guess that is the deciding factor.
QB vs slow build is not a real barrier to insulating. It doesn't take that much work to remove the floorboards.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Default and..

I would be curious to see the difference (objectively) between the insulated and non insulated airplanes. I have the QB fuse and wings and chose not to insulate the forward footwell floors.

As has been previously posted, Removing those two footwell floors can be accomplished fairly easily. Mine were only temporarily held in place with 6 pop rivets, which you have to drill out anyway...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung

Dues Paid 2016,...Thanks DR+
Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I would be curious to see the difference (objectively) between the insulated and non insulated airplanes. I have the QB fuse and wings and chose not to insulate the forward footwell floors.

As has been previously posted, Removing those two footwell floors can be accomplished fairly easily. Mine were only temporarily held in place with 6 pop rivets, which you have to drill out anyway...
I'm curious too.

If not the insulation of the tunnel, what other bridges might be burned by doing the QB?
2017 dues paid
Old 06-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
QB vs slow build is not a real barrier to insulating. It doesn't take that much work to remove the floorboards.
Good to know. Thanks Kyle.
2017 dues paid