VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 PM
skelrad skelrad is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 146
Default RV9 Baggage Area

Maybe I always misunderstood, but for some reason I thought the fuselage was identical between the -9 and -7. Vans lists the baggage area for 75 lbs in the 9 and 100 lbs in the 7 though. Is there a structural difference and when people say the fuselage is the same they just mean the dimensions?
__________________
Brandon
Issaquah, WA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:07 PM
YellowJacket RV9 YellowJacket RV9 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH
Posts: 985
Default

The construction plans for the 9 actually indicate a 100 lb limit. This is of course, depending on proper weight and balance. With a metal, FP prop, I can load 100 lbs of baggage along with 2 people and full fuel. I have not done, but have come close, without issue.

Chris
__________________
Chris Johnson
RV-9A - Done(ish) 4/5/16! Flying 4/7/16
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2017, 08:34 PM
skelrad skelrad is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
The construction plans for the 9 actually indicate a 100 lb limit. This is of course, depending on proper weight and balance. With a metal, FP prop, I can load 100 lbs of baggage along with 2 people and full fuel. I have not done, but have come close, without issue.

Chris
Gotcha. May just be an oversight on the website then. Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Brandon
Issaquah, WA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 PM
erich weaver's Avatar
erich weaver erich weaver is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa barbara, CA
Posts: 1,453
Default

Or an oversight in the construction plans.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 PM
YellowJacket RV9 YellowJacket RV9 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH
Posts: 985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
Or an oversight in the construction plans.
Doesn't sounds like it -

From a previous VAF thread:

"alpinelakespilot2000
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I have asked about this discrepency directly of Van's a couple times. Their unequivocal response both times was that it's merely a matter of c.g. People with wood fixed pitched props are probably going to be limited to 75#. People with metal constant speeds will probably be able to get away with 100#.
"

Also,

Section 14, page 1, item 4:
Maximum Gross Weight: The maximum weight that the structure of the airplane can support at the 4.4G limit of the Utility Category. For the RV-9/9A, this weight is 1600 lbs.

G-LOAD TESTING
... The RV-9/9A structure had been designed to withstand utility design loads of +4.4/-1.8G at a utility gross weight of 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM G-LOAD:... The RV-9/9A has a maximum G load of +4.4 and -1.8 at 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM BAGGAGE WEIGHT
The maximum allowable baggage weight is determined by the structural limits of the baggage compartment floor, and is the maximum weight that can be carried in the baggage compartment under the most ideal conditions. For the RV-9/9A, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 100 lbs. This means that when C.G. limits and gross weight limits will permit, up to 100 lbs of baggage can be carried in the RV-9/9A baggage compartment. An example of this condition is a single pilot operating where this amount of baggage will not likely cause either the C.G. or the gross weight to exceed limits. With a single occupant, additional baggage can be carried in the passenger seat, but only if the C.G. and Gross Weight remained within limits, and if it is secured so that it cannot possibly interfere with the pilot's ability to operate the controls.
__________________
Chris Johnson
RV-9A - Done(ish) 4/5/16! Flying 4/7/16
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 6,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
Doesn't sounds like it -

From a previous VAF thread:

"alpinelakespilot2000
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I have asked about this discrepency directly of Van's a couple times. Their unequivocal response both times was that it's merely a matter of c.g. People with wood fixed pitched props are probably going to be limited to 75#. People with metal constant speeds will probably be able to get away with 100#.
"

Also,

Section 14, page 1, item 4:
Maximum Gross Weight: The maximum weight that the structure of the airplane can support at the 4.4G limit of the Utility Category. For the RV-9/9A, this weight is 1600 lbs.

G-LOAD TESTING
... The RV-9/9A structure had been designed to withstand utility design loads of +4.4/-1.8G at a utility gross weight of 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM G-LOAD:... The RV-9/9A has a maximum G load of +4.4 and -1.8 at 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM BAGGAGE WEIGHT
The maximum allowable baggage weight is determined by the structural limits of the baggage compartment floor, and is the maximum weight that can be carried in the baggage compartment under the most ideal conditions. For the RV-9/9A, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 100 lbs. This means that when C.G. limits and gross weight limits will permit, up to 100 lbs of baggage can be carried in the RV-9/9A baggage compartment. An example of this condition is a single pilot operating where this amount of baggage will not likely cause either the C.G. or the gross weight to exceed limits. With a single occupant, additional baggage can be carried in the passenger seat, but only if the C.G. and Gross Weight remained within limits, and if it is secured so that it cannot possibly interfere with the pilot's ability to operate the controls.
Correct

And I think the web site has a typo error and it meant to list 2 different weights.... One as a recommendation of what would be typical for 118 HP and one for 160 HP.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2017, 07:45 AM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 3,822
Default

And there is an additional restriction for 325 pounds maximum nosewheel weight that comes into play when on the forward end of the CG spectrum. Most people won't have that problem, but I've got an IO360 and constant speed up front with 67 gallons fuel capacity - it's something I have to watch.
__________________
Greg Niehues - VAF 2017 dues paid
Garden City, TX
N16GN flying! http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 AM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
And there is an additional restriction for 325 pounds maximum nosewheel weight that comes into play when on the forward end of the CG spectrum. Most people won't have that problem, but I've got an IO360 and constant speed up front with 67 gallons fuel capacity - it's something I have to watch.
Just move that little wheel to the back and that problem goes away.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 AM
RVbySDI's Avatar
RVbySDI RVbySDI is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tuttle, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelrad View Post
Is there a structural difference and when people say the fuselage is the same they just mean the dimensions?
Others have already addressed the baggage weight issue. As for this issue, there is no structural difference. The 9 and the 7 fuselage are the same in structure, construction, components, dimensions and every other concept of what it means to be "the same".
__________________
RVBYSDI
Steve
RV9A
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.