Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Same old question.......

Why do you want to build an airplane ?

Answer A: Because I want to fly that airplane Wrong

Answer B: Because I want to build an airplane Right

If you want the airplane, go buy one. There are many 12's and 9's around.

If you want to build an airplane, the 12 is far easier, can be built solo with minimal extra help, goes together super quick, flies like a dream, gives you the RV grin and is ultra economical.

Drop me an email and I will let you have more info. I have built a 7, an 8 and we are half way through 2 12's. Sadly, you can't buy it as I am in Perfidious Albion (the old country )
I would say yes for both. RVs are nice looking planes, glass panels, customizable to the mission. I have always had a passion for being hands on as opposed to just paying someone else to do it. It is not about saving money, it is about the pride of doing it.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:34 PM

I'd be glad to give you a 9A ride sometime if you can't find one in Orlando - I am a short hop away at ZPH. One benefit of the 9 vs the 12 is the slider canopy option. As soon as I roll out I open the canopy and stay nice and cool on the ground. In flight, the Koger sunshade, combined with a static-cling sunshade that I can move around the canopy as needed, help keep things tolerable. Nice thing about the 9 is that the climb rate means you can be at a cool altitude very quickly.

Regarding cost-effectiveness, the 9 can cruise on very little fuel if you throttle back.

Different planes for different missions, but if XC flying is a substantial part of the mission, my vote would be for the 9.

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 05-29-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:11 PM

Cth6, check your PMs.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Talking N121TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
Cth6, check your PMs.
I had the pleasure today of spending the morning with Tom and his -12. First off, Tom is a great ambassador for the RV-12 and the Vans community. I was able to experience my first ride in a -12 and the experience quelled my concerns about flight characteristics. A pretty typical Florida morning and even with the normal unstable air the -12 handled it without a nasty response.

N121TK is a plane to be very proud of. You can clearly see the attention to detail Tom put into each step. Tom had answers for the barrage of questions I threw his way as we debriefed on his build.

Thanks again Tom. Hopefully one day I can treat you to a flight in my RV.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM

I thought Jeff Skiles EAA mag article about flying the 12 to Oshkosh from the Pac NW was enlightening, you may want to check that out.

I enjoyed your comment on trying to get your wife to take some lessons. I have a wife who really didn't like flying much and while she would go on short hops if the destination was good enough, she had no interest in flying IN the plane , let alone flying the plane.

I have often wondered if it's easier to get a non-pilot spouse more interested in flying if they can be convinced to do some work on the building project.

But then I couldn't figure out how to get a spouse interested in working on the building project.

Best of luck.
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM

there are a couple of things to take into account with the 12 that really make the decision to build / buy a different plane difficult if your mission is VFR and you are making cross countries of a couple of hours or so.

- It runs on standard car gas or 100LL, and is really only using about 4.5gallons an hour, that is some cheap flying.

- Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself.

- its a very simple plane, fixed pitch prop, no wing tanks, no primer, no mixture.

- simple but it has (or at least most) an autopilot and the G3X or dynon glass cockpit is beyond excellent.

- its roomier than you think and has a very good load range, being able to fly with two large adults and full fuel.

- very responsive and a great deal of fun to land.

I'm sure there are a bunch more, but I know a lot of people that have owned far more capable planes and love their -12.

But if you want to get IFR certified, or your mission will include IFR, or you want to get into aerobatics then you have to look at something else.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote: - "Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself".

To clarify, whether you build or buy an RV-9 (E-AB) or RV-12 (E-LSA or E-AB), the owner/pilot can do all of the "maintenance" required. Only the annual Condition Inspection requires special consideration. The original builder of an E-AB (or an A&P mechanic) can sign-off the Condition Inspection. For an E-LSA, the owner/pilot (whether builder or buyer) has to take a two-day special course to qualify to sign-off the Condition Inspection of an E-LSA that they own. Alternatively, an A&P can do the Condition Inspection on an E-LSA. An S-LSA (unless converted to E-LSA status) is treated like a standard certificated aircraft and must be maintained accordingly.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.

Last edited by DHeal : 06-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
I thought Jeff Skiles EAA mag article about flying the 12 to Oshkosh from the Pac NW was enlightening, you may want to check that out.

I enjoyed your comment on trying to get your wife to take some lessons. I have a wife who really didn't like flying much and while she would go on short hops if the destination was good enough, she had no interest in flying IN the plane , let alone flying the plane.
Thanks, I will look for the article tonight. My wife's first flight was our first date. Guess I didn't scare her away 24 years ago. She still is very much a fair weather flyer. We are heading for a short overnight on Thurs and she is already asking about the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azjulian View Post
there are a couple of things to take into account with the 12 that really make the decision to build / buy a different plane difficult if your mission is VFR and you are making cross countries of a couple of hours or so.
...But if you want to get IFR certified, or your mission will include IFR, or you want to get into aerobatics then you have to look at something else.
Azjulian, I still have access to 172s and a 182 if I want to add passengers or if I want to go IFR. My days of acro have probably passed, so that is not on my mission. At 120kts I am nice and happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Quote: - "Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself".
Definitely going to take the 2 day course. In the club I learned in (Navy), we were required to help with the maintenance, annuals and the plane washing. If you didn't you received a bill for $50 that quarter (Equivalent to 1 hr of wet time in a 172) If I only knew back then to keep a log of how many hours I worked under an A&P.