Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtt View Post
I think Walt needs a timeout or perhaps something else. Glad you posted Blain.
Apparently it's just that I have a little different philosophy on aircraft maintenance than some of the folks here. I wonder how many "frugal" folks that flip their tires to get every last mm of rubber off them can say they have had ZERO mechanical break downs, ZERO out of service time, ZERO flat tires and 100% dispatch reliability for the last 12 years and 1500+ hours. I can assure you it has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with my maintenance practices.

If you can't afford new tires what else have you neglected I wonder?

Anyway that's just the way I see it.

Ok I'll take that time out now...

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Apparently it's just that I have a little different philosophy on aircraft maintenance than some of the folks here. I wonder how many "frugal" folks that flip their tires to get every last mm of rubber off them can say they have had ZERO mechanical break downs, ZERO out of service time, ZERO flat tires and 100% dispatch reliability for the last 12 years and 1500+ hours. I can assure you it has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with my maintenance practices.
I can, and it has been longer than 12 years.

Quote:
If you can't afford new tires what else have you neglected I wonder?

Anyway that's just the way I see it.

Ok I'll take that time out now...
Did anyone say anything about not being able to afford new tires? There is no shame in being frugal if safety is not compromised....some would even say frugality is a noble characteristic.

One of the most frugal individuals in aviation designed our beloved RVs.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 PM

One doesn't need to operate a light A/C like an Airliner, on demand maint is a normal way of life for most of us whom live in the real world. I don't plan to have a volt reg to fail but I had one recently, no way I could have seen that coming, but I fixed it. When I hear a wheel bearing become noisy I replace it, some things you can't predict so you do yr best & stay as safe as possible, has nothing to do with being fugal, just being smarter:-)
There's an old saying........you don't need to be a cook to boil water!:-)

Last edited by Capt : 05-25-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 AM

We flip tyres on our crop dusters without a second thought. Timing the flip is important and the tyre needs to be in good order.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:25 AM

This post came at a good time for me. The tread on my mains looks about like that picture. I have been remiss in monitoring tread wear, so I really don't know how many landings were made on bald tires, and how much life is left in them. I was going to flip them, but went ahead and bought new ones. I will keep the old ones for emergency purposes, but won't be reusing them.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:29 AM

I'm with Walt on this one.

Observation: Nothing makes an aircraft unairworthy quicker and more trivially than a flat tire. No matter what condition the rest of the airplane is in, if you let the air out of a tire you ain't goin' nowhere.

Even without considering any safety issues, the risk of being stranded somewhere far from home for a stupid preventable obvious embarrassing oversight should factor into decision making, especially on an airplane that covers as much ground as an RV.

I rotate, but I don't wait until the worn side is bald before I do it, there's always a bit of tread available. When the second side wears down to the same level: New rubber.

Remember, you're going to buy new tires anyway, we're just talking about when. Delaying it probably isn't saving as much money as you think.

- mark
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM

W.W.V.D. What would Vlad do?
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 AM

i stopped flipping the tires at this point a few years ago. i found new tires and brake pads are needed at about this time. don't neglect those brakes.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Time out for a Belief System Alert.

Where is the data connecting tread depth and incidence of flats?

Tread grooves are for liquid escape. Sure, a pointy object (like a nail or thorn) won't reach the tube if the total tire carcass is thicker than the length, but given ordinary objects (pebbles and stones mostly), why should tread depth make a lot of difference?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Blain, I'm sure after all of the feedback you will make your own decision on what to do. When you decide to replace them, you should consider the Desser Retreads. This is sample of what you might consider. I have to say after owning my own plane for 20 years, both certified and experimental, these tires have been the best tires I've ever landed on. For the price and longevity, you can't go wrong. Heck change out your tires every year if you want but you won't have to because they last much longer than the ones that I see on your plane now. DISCLAIMER - I DO NOT WORK FOR DESSER OR HAVE ANY CONNECTION TO THEM. THE COMMENT IS BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE.
Supporting VAF since the first visit