- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Gust Locks

As always each to his own. I would avoid external locks that could be overlooked. I know we all diligently preflight and do pre takeoff control checks but humans being humans stuff will and does happen. There have been numerous aircraft accidents related to control locks. The types of gust locks that must be removed to get into the pilots seat look like a good idea.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunwings View Post
As always each to his own. I would avoid external locks that could be overlooked. I know we all diligently preflight and do pre takeoff control checks but humans being humans stuff will and does happen. There have been numerous aircraft accidents related to control locks. The types of gust locks that must be removed to get into the pilots seat look like a good idea.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
I am in agreement with the sentiment, but I have found that with the external rudder lock, it is immediately noticeable should one try to taxi with it in place - when the pedals don't move as you steer it is very obvious. I know this because despite my big red flag, I did overlook it once. I was only going to taxi to fuel before parking it for the night so I didn't do a full pre-flight (not an excuse, still shame on me), but I didn't get two feet before I knew it was locked.

When it comes to aileron and elevator, I agree. I used the seatbelt around the stick method. Can't sit down with it locked. I know it isn't the most robust method, but if I expect nasty weather I find a hangar, even if I need to pay up.

Chris
Old 05-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Tow bar

I used my tow bar and a bungy cord. The tow bar is already in the plane so no extra weight...
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM

I saw a -10 at 9GA2 (flyin). He used some small PVC that was slit lengthwise and fit over the cable on each side. Both had Remove Before Flight flags that be hard to miss on preflight.
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 05-12-2017, 10:08 PM

I made something out of 1" PVC. It goes between the pedals and the spar. I used a 3/4" wood dowel with a clevis pin on the aft end for easy installation. It's strong, easy to install, light and only about $5 in parts. The dowel snuggles up between the floor and a couple of bolt heads that lock it in place.

The only downside is that it looks like a $5 gust lock. I used the remaining PVC pipe for u shaped wheel chocks that also work well and look cheap. On those I added some left over Flexible PVC waste hose from my boat on the outside of the two short pieces. It makes it more tacky and helps to grip the ground and the tire. Its good to have these during your travels as not all FBOs have the thin/short chokes.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Same here. Used one on my 7A and will use one on my -10 when finished - assuming there is a version for the -10..?

I did a lot of traveling in my 7A and spent many nights out on ramps. I never thought twice about it with the Gust Buster installed.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 05-13-2017, 06:05 AM

You'd be amazed what pilots will miss, in the way of external control locks and covers. I'm aware of a flight crew that left the inlet cover in place on a jet engine and tried to start said engine ($$$$) as well as all of the well-known accidents where crews tried to take off with control locks engaged.

I'd prefer to use a control lock that makes it impossible to even sit in the cockpit without removing it entirely.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
I used a scrap piece of aluminum bar, bent to fit flush over the rudder horn and rudder stop and hole cutout to clear the rudder cable bolt head. Two small screws and wingnuts hold it in place. Put a big red flag on it, too.

Chris
Trank you very much for this Helpful Feedbacks.
Manfred
Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 AM

Made mine out of an aluminum crutch I picked up from a neighbors trash.

Post with more construction pics:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ghlight=crutch
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
Made mine out of an aluminum crutch I picked up from a neighbors trash.

Post with more construction pics:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ghlight=crutch
Loving your work! I have two I'm using at the moment, and will repurpose one for this so long as I can walk properly again!

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.