- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2017, 04:12 PM

Talking Warning Thread drift

I saw the facory RV14 (taildragger) at AOPA show in Camarillo. After looking it over carefully, i decided I am going to rebuild my elevator trim tab beofre paint, and maybe evn my complete empennage; I am so much better now at riveting. I heard the second (or third) time things come out better.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaslick View Post
I want to thank to everyone for their encouragement, I will post a longer reply detailing my progress (or lack there-of) later today.

I have ordered replacement parts (again).

Eric
Glad you're staying with it! Everyone orders replacement parts (I even had to order replacement parts for replacement parts when I cut the elevator weights wrong TWICE!).

Each little bit done is a VICTORY! I'm still surprised to see real airplane parts emerge from a pile of aluminum bits.

Right now, I'm just starting the tanks for my -14... I put it off until the weather was warmer and now it's time to go for it!

Pat
*fuselage kit just arrived!
RV12
* to distract me while building the -14!
Exempt, but 2017 dues paid anyway
http://N414PJ.wordpress.com
Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM

I got this on VAF (forget the author), but printed & kept it on the wall in my shop over my 15 yr build - It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so. Looked at it often.
RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
Dues paid thru Dec 22, 2017
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad walton View Post
I viewed the construction process as therapy, something totally different from what I did at my day job. Each individual task was a project unto itself. If I was fabricating a bracket, I tried to make the best bracket I was capable of. I wasn't building a plane, at that moment I was building a bracket. The plane emerged from the smaller projects.
I find that an excellent approach to building an RV-12.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Eric, a while ago after needing to order some replacement parts from Van's yet again, I was pretty bummed out. While I was at the airport I stopped by and visited with an RV-7 builder. His RV-7 was there in the hangar, a flying airplane. He told me that when he was done, he took his junk parts to the scrap buyer and they gave him $136 for them.

That sure made me feel better.

Also, please know that the RV-12 is one of the nicer-flying airplanes out there, period.I liked it better than all but maybe one other. I like the -12 better than two other RVs, in fact.

Hang in there!

Dave
RV-3B, now trying to skin the fuselage
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Default Don't let anyone take away your dream

I want to encourage you to continue. Yes, sometimes it can be PITA when things don't go as planned. Just remember, you are already a winner by being on the path to building an airplane. So very few humans take on this challenge. Right now, it might not seem like it's the correct path, but somewhere along the way I think you'll start enjoying your journey. Remember to celebrate all the small things, and try to forget about the mistakes and errors (those can be corrected anyway and nobody is perfect). I know the kind, thoughtful and helpful folks at this site want to see you be successful. And each of them will do their best to help you out along the way.

Best,

T

Last edited by mikefox : 05-11-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 AM

We are building 2 RV12's side by side..........

We duplicate mistakes

Keep at it, it will be worth it 10 times over.

Donated in 2017
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Devil's advocate here....

There is nothing wrong with throwing in the towel.

We're all given certain talents. I can build anything, but I can't play the piano. Or dance. And there is no reason to do them badly.

I am sure you too have talents, but perhaps building isn't on your list. So buy an RV. We must have at least a thousand readers right here who didn't build their baby, and they love them just as much. Heck, somebody has to buy finished airplanes or the whole system collapses.

Point is, build because you want to build. Do it because it's fun, or satisfying, or challenging, not because you want an airplane. Spend your trips around the sun doing what you do well.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Don't give up. I ordered my kit 4 years ago, and for the first couple of years, work kept me from really being steady at it. Retired in Sept, and my new job is working on my RV 12. My wife is supportive. I find it relaxing, although crawling under the panel to do wiring, puts an old guy in positions we shouldn't get into. Will I ever finish it in time to fly? God willing I will. I had the misfortune of a completed Stabilator fall off the wall when a Lowes wall rack broke, requiring new parts, and rebuild of the stabilator. It is good sometime to just walk away. Do something else, and then realize you miss the fun of building.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Devil's advocate here....

There is nothing wrong with throwing in the towel.

We're all given certain talents. I can build anything, but I can't play the piano. Or dance. And there is no reason to do them badly.

I am sure you too have talents, but perhaps building isn't on your list. So buy an RV. We must have at least a thousand readers right here who didn't build their baby, and they love them just as much. Heck, somebody has to buy finished airplanes or the whole system collapses.

Point is, build because you want to build. Do it because it's fun, or satisfying, or challenging, not because you want an airplane. Spend your trips around the sun doing what you do well.
Hey Dan, next time we are at a Oshkosh or Petit Jean lets find a piano and I will show you a few notes to play. In five minutes I will have you playing a song.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻