- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Dave, you didn't mention the MDA and GA functions. I found the MDA bug on the bugs menu and enabled it. You can set the MDA with the left joystick/knob. Once set there will be orange digital readout of your set MDA and also an orange bug on the altitude tape.
Thanks, I'll check that out next time. It would definitely be helpful to receive an alert!

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
Have you been in touch with the folks at Dynon to see why it did not transition from VNAV to ALT per the autopilot annunciation?
No, but I did realize (too late, as is my wont) that I needed to consult the A/P chapter as well as the Nav chapter in the Users Guide. It states that Alt Hold should be on prior to engaging the VNav mode. I suspect that might have had something to do with it. I'll try it in the plane again before asking Dynon.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 AM

I use the GRT's SAP HITS boxes on moonless nights going into 08A, which has no visual approach slope lighting, nor any significant ground lighting clues for the last mile or so either way. It's a black hole, with RPZ paths cut into the trees on each end. .

Here's the catch. Flying the HITS boxes in the daytime tells me that I should not rely on them as a primary guide to obstacle clearance. I've seen enough variation to know that I should be OK if I'm in the top of the boxes, and it compares properly with the runway view. There's absolutely no way I'd let the autopilot do it.

In fairness, the GPS driver here is a 696, not a WAAS unit; I don't think it has anything to do with EFIS capability. And this isn't any sort of instrument approach, which would have an MDA well above the trees. I'm talking about obstacle clearance, i.e. using the HITS boxes as a VASI substitute.

Ok, so if you're thinking WAAS would fix everything, don't. Annual inspections are usually a state agency task. Trees growing into an approach path will often result in a provisional airport operating license with an order to clear the trees, or expect a displaced threshold in the future. Depending on the players, it can be a long time before trees get cut, and I have no idea if or when displaced threshold information might reach an EFIS. Here ins the deep south trees grow fast. I know I've flown a few daylight passes at local airports where the center of the boxes had the trees right there. The best avionics money can buy won't change that problem.

Great tool, but be cautious, please.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM

With the GRT, it will allow you in the setup pages to choose a glidepath angle for the SAP, 3 being default, like most ILSs.

I like 4 degrees for my SAPs. Keeps a better gap above those trees.

Fixed pitch prop, ground idle 700 rpm, almost always full flap landings.

As Dan said, even a 5 or 6 degree may find close in trees if the threshold is displaced far enough and not reflected on the EFIS.

Last edited by moosepileit : 04-26-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:41 AM

I was trying to put a runway at the end of the flight plan, but when I select a runway and press add to flightplan I end up with the Airport reference point instead of the runway.
When I select the runway and press direct it will select the runway and I can select waypoints before the runway and add it to the flight plan to build a new flight plan.

So what is the procedure to add a runway at the end of the flightplan during flight without canceling the present flight plan?

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM

As far as I can tell, there's no way to add a runway at the end of a flight plan. The best Iv'e been able to do is to wait until I get close to the end of my flight plan. Then I display the flight plan page > select my destination airport > select INFO > move to the Runway tab > select the runway I want (use the selector knob to make sure the small green arrow is pointed towards the desired runway) > select Direct To button. That wipes out my orig FP and replaces it with a single waypoint named (airportID).(selected runway), eg KDED.12.

At that point, the HSI shows a CDI for the "localizer" indicator and a HSI Bearing 1 pointer that I *think* points to the airport but not sure.

I'd like to be able to add it to the end of my FP but don't see a way to do that.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 04-30-2017, 02:11 AM

Thats the same way I do it now. I will make a posting on the Dynon forum.

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
I think Chelton was the first one to have that feature, and they used highway in the sky symbology.
First time i saw it was in 1969. The movie 2001.

First time i 'flew' it was the game 'X-Wing'.

Saw it on GRT and had to have it.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 05-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Gents,

My partner and I went up this morning to try out the 'poor mans ILS' feature for the first time. Although things worked basically as advertised, there were two peculiarities that did not fit what I have read about the new feature:

1- The autopilot consistently tracked a bit left of runway centerline by a few hundred feet. I had read that a problem in HITS could cause this, but I do not have HITS enabled.

2- Per what I have read here on the forum, as well as the Dynon forum, I expected VNAV to continue the approach THROUGH the minimum altitude selected in setup. However, it leveled off each time at the selected minimum altitude. That behavior seems OK to me, but its not what I expected.

I'm running Skyview version 15.1.0. As mentioned, HITS is disabled. Anybody else notice these behaviors?

Thanks,
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through September, 2017
Old 05-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Gents,

My partner and I went up this morning to try out the 'poor mans ILS' feature for the first time. Although things worked basically as advertised, there were two peculiarities that did not fit what I have read about the new feature:

1- The autopilot consistently tracked a bit left of runway centerline by a few hundred feet. I had read that a problem in HITS could cause this, but I do not have HITS enabled.

2- Per what I have read here on the forum, as well as the Dynon forum, I expected VNAV to continue the approach THROUGH the minimum altitude selected in setup. However, it leveled off each time at the selected minimum altitude. That behavior seems OK to me, but its not what I expected.

I'm running Skyview version 15.1.0. As mentioned, HITS is disabled. Anybody else notice these behaviors?

Thanks,
Alex
There is mention of both of these on the Dynon forum. I believe number 1 is being looked at as a possible bug.
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -