- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Default How do we get a demo ride on the East Coast

So the boy and I head to Sun N Fun last week and look at all the shiny toys. We are trying to find a project to build. It's our first build after years of flying certified aircraft.

Mom says go, have fun, buy something. Checkbook says go, money is already sitting ready to spend. It's a shopping trip of the best kind.

Of course we go to the Van's display, multiple times. The RV-10 looks really good for what we have in mind and everything is great. All my questions are getting good answers and the room in the 10 is just astonishing. I cannot fit in TBM 900s or any current Piper, but I can wear a hat in the 10!

Then I find out I'm talking to the new President of Van's aircraft, Mitch. How cool is that. The boss man is on the line selling airplanes.

So I ask Mitch how I go about getting a ride in an RV 10 so I can check off that final due diligence and get a kit ordered. Turns out that now that he is President, he's moving to the left coast and there isn't a real option right now for someone on the East coast for demo rides. Hmm. If the boss man doesn't know how a demo is going to go, what is a customer to do? I'm not complaining, I understand things are in flux with his new position, but I'm not buying a multi-year project till I see the spiny thing in the front spinning and get some air under the wings. Anybody in NC (near Raleigh, preferably) have an RV-10 they want to take for a hamburger? I really don't want to wait till they have another rep out here. I'd love to take the ride to Van's instead but the time to justify that trip is difficult just having come back from a week in Florida.

Thoughts?

Btw, first post here. Probably many more to come as time passes and rivets get bucked.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM

At the moment. You can't. I had been scheduled to fly the 10 with Mitch today, however at the end of Sun N Fun it was decided that the 10 would go back to the mothership. He offered me a demo in the 14 as it has similar flight charastics, but I ended passing as I was planning for the wife to see the 10.

I would say give it time. Hopefully we have a new east coast rep in the near future. Will the new rep have a 10? Who knows.

May be faster to see if anyone near you has a 10 you can get a quick ride in?
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - In Progress
RV10builder.com
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Dan, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Pierre Smith and Vic Syracuse are both 10 owners who have helped out lots of folks interested in the 10--------both in your neck of the woods, I believe.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=438

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1415
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 04-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Then of course there's the commercial flight to Portland, Or and a 30 drive south.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 PM

I purchased my RV-10 kits and never had a demo ride. In fact, the first time I had ever even flown in an RV aircraft was during my transition training prior to the first flight in my completed RV-10. I did sit in the demonstrator at Oshkosh and that was enough to sell me! If your willing to travel a little, I am sure there is an RV-10 owner who would gladly give you that ride.

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2017
Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

If you can get to Atlanta I will take you for a flight in my 10.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Dan, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Pierre Smith and Vic Syracuse are both 10 owners who have helped out lots of folks interested in the 10--------both in your neck of the woods, I believe.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=438

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1415
Thank you. I reached out to Vic directly to see if he was available.

I also checked with a buddy of mine who's family lives in Bend, OR. Maybe I could go out on his annual trip to visit his family and tag along for a free place to stay. If I can make it to Bend, surely someone at the factory can hop down and pick me up for a demo flight. If I can make it 2400 miles, surely they can make the last 150 for me.

I also reached out to my local EAA chapter to see if anyone has a 10 flying they'd let me take a hop in. I should have done that originally but it just didn't occur to me.

Thank you for your help!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
If you can get to Atlanta I will take you for a flight in my 10.

Vic
Lol! While you were typing that, I was emailing you directly. What timing! Vic, I think I'm heading to Atlanta anyway to look at a Cherokee Six. It's not even remotely confirmed yet but I'm hoping to put something together on it in the next week or so.

Thank you, I will be in touch. And thank you for your kind offer!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:10 AM

Default Take a trip.

I can only tell you what seams to work for us. If you really like the 10 and many do, I liked the 8. It is more than worth it to just get on a cheep flight and take a ride out to Portland and spend a couple of days visiting the plant and taking a ride. You will be much more at ease with a situation where you are going to spend this much money and time over the coming years if you do.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 04-13-2017, 05:33 AM

You may want to reach out to Bill Watson. He's in Durham.

http://www.mykitlog.com/MauleDriver