- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Aaron,
Do you have two O2D2 systems (one for front and back) or are you running one O2D2 up front and constant flow breathing stations in the back?
I have the Mountain High portable system with two O2D2 units. I think I have the D+ tank, but I have to look. I've flown six cross countries with it and there is still air.

The longer the distance, the higher I'll usually go if the winds are blowing the right way. I'm usually in the 10-15k range.

MH does have some good discounts during OSH. That's when I bought mine a couple years ago.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM

The O2D2 is key. I didn't want to spend the $$$, weight or panel space for the full on built in system. So I made a hybrid system. I plummed the plane for O2 with a remote regulator switch on my panel. I have one 02D2 in my center console (I can add a second, but for now, I have yet to have the need since the chances of me going a long high CC with 4 people are slim). I mounted the 647 bottle in the baggage compartment. I can get it out in about 20 seconds to do a refill. I had the bottle refilled last year at OSH and we have flown on about 6 long cross countries using the O2 and still have plenty in the tank. It's all about the O2D2.
I made a little pouch for the Regulator to store in. When I really need to save weight, I can pull the bottle. (Like when I had 3 navy seals in the plane on a flight out to the desert....)
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Old 04-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Definitely go 682 on the cylinder. Especially if you ever may use it for 4 seats. I may even suggest that for a 2 seater. As people have said, cheaper to fill in the long run, and I hate being O2 limited on long x/c flights in the summer when staying up above the bumps.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 04-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Default flat fee for bottle fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Another reason to go bigger is that refill costs are not incrementally economical if you refill at an FBO.
That's exactly correct. At my FBO they charge a flat $50 no matter what size cylinder. Due to weight considerations, I have only a 1 Outlet, 9 Cu Ft Cylinder in my plane.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Aaron,
Do you have two O2D2 systems (one for front and back) or are you running one O2D2 up front and constant flow breathing stations in the back?
I have two O2D2 Units. One for front and one for back. That gets all four of us O2 when needed or desired.
Home Field: Mallards Landing (GA04)
Locust Grove, GA
Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Default O2 Cylinder Size

I definitely recommend the largest tank you can install. I have a -9A, routinely fly in the 13.5-14.5 altitudes on cross countries, and have two E-bottles with 2 oximisers. I have painfully noted that those airports with O2 available tend to have turbines and jets parked on their ramps with fuel and O2 prices to match. Dan from Reno
Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM

You can do some cool stuff fitting an E-bottle (?) between the front seats.

I built a slim but very useful center console around it with an iPad mount. Works Great!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:19 AM

I have an E bottle with the Mountain High EDS system in my 9A and absolutely love it. The longer wing and Roncz airfoil on the 9 loves a high cruising altitude and I routinely fly in the mid-teens for cross country trips. I fill my own tank at home and with the E tank I have not needed to fill on the road yet.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.