Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I'll be honest and say I really don't understand how these batteries work. On my CHARGER, it charges at 14.7 volts until fully charged. After that, it drops back to a 13.5 volt float charge. What happens if I run my alternator at 14.7 volts, after the battery is fully re-charged? Is there a risk of boiling the electrolyte? How high is too high?
I think I can answer my own question. I previously worked off the Odyssey warranty page, where it said "alternator must put out between 14.0 and 14.7 volts". But it sounds like the low end of this range is not very good for long battery life. Since I have a Plane Power with nonadjustable regulator, I'll see if I can fool it with a series diode in the sense line.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I think I can answer my own question. I previously worked off the Odyssey warranty page, where it said "alternator must put out between 14.0 and 14.7 volts". But it sounds like the low end of this range is not very good for long battery life. Since I have a Plane Power with nonadjustable regulator, I'll see if I can fool it with a series diode in the sense line.
A standard Plane Power alternator works just fine with an Odyssey battery (or two like I have). Just run it.

Carl
Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Default PC 680 Technical Manual ... a good read!

Odyssey puts out a really good technical manual on the PC680. Most of the questions and issues in this thread are addressed. In particular, the issues around charging between 14.2 and 14.7 are explained. There is a really interesting chart showing the impact of charging at the low end versus 14.7 which is the recommended charge voltage.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...M-002_1214.pdf

I have used three PC680s in my RV7 over the past 8 years. Two were changed "just because" ... one was dead in the saddle. Have seen a lot of them at KORK (we have 22 flying RVs and 21 are using PC680's) and generally, we have seen good service life out of all the batteries.

Bill S

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 12/23/2016 for 2017
Old 06-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up Earthx 900

I have now been flying over a month since I installed a Earthx 900. After using two Odyssey 680 batteries in six years what a difference. I have dual Grand Rapids that would drop off line when I started and now everything is ok. When starting my IO 360 before the starting proformance was poor. Now it's is amazing.