- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
Welp, my crate date turns out to be Memorial day! Hah. This has been one of the longest 8 week waits I have had to endure, so excited to get those things in.

I am hoping I'll hear something this coming week about my wings being crated and then handed over to the carrier for freighting.

I've probably cleaned and organized my shop 3 times just to have something to work on :-)
Good to hear Lynn, I just looked backed at another post when you said they would be crated on 5/29 so they stuck to their word! Mine are scheduled to be crated on 6/12. Thanks again for that spreadsheet, made things a bit faster. I'm glad I ordered the wings before I finished the tail as I purposefully slowed down on the elevators so that I wouldn't run out of things to do. My results are below so far.

HS-67.4hrs
VS-28.55hrs
Rudder-41.5hrs
Right elevator-33.25hrs
Left elevator-34.6hrs (another 5 hrs estimated needed)
Trim tab-5.4hrs (another 5 hrs estimated needed)

I'm at 210.7 and am guessing another 10 hours to finish the tail entirely. Thought I would post these numbers as another data point.
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 PM

As a quick update. My wings were crated yesterday (Wednesday), and picked up by ABF today (Thursday) at about 3pm Vans time. They are own their way with an expected date of Wed/Thursday of next week.

The ABF freight terminal is about 20 minutes from my house, and I have a truck and trailer, so I am thinking I will save a few bucks and pick up at the terminal, and carry some of my buddies to help load/unload. I'll call ABF tomorrow and see what the price difference is, it may or may not be worth it.

If anyone is wondering, here are the dimensions and weights of the two crates:

Crate one:
186" x 12" x 12"
Weight: 220 Lbs.

Crate two:
96" x 32" x 12"
Weight: 214 Lbs.

Delivery via ABF from Vans to Chattanooga TN, is right at about 5 business days.
Wing Kit on its way!
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 06-02-2017, 04:28 AM

Delivery from terminal was only about $40 for me and worth it IMHO. You'll get a call soon from their dispatcher to get your COD $ and set a time. That's when I asked about pick up options.

Inspect the bottom of the crates well, my spar box was missing one of the skids and had a hole punched through it (but no damage to contents). The driver was cool about documenting it, and they have a smart phone app that captures photos of these kinds of exceptions.

Overall a positive experience. Enjoy your build, lots of parts in those boxes, you'll get good with a countersink real fast-

7a wings underway
Old 06-02-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Delivery

Quote:
As a quick update. My wings were crated yesterday (Wednesday), and picked up by ABF today (Thursday) at about 3pm Vans time. They are own their way with an expected date of Wed/Thursday of next week.

The ABF freight terminal is about 20 minutes from my house, and I have a truck and trailer, so I am thinking I will save a few bucks and pick up at the terminal, and carry some of my buddies to help load/unload. I'll call ABF tomorrow and see what the price difference is, it may or may not be worth it.

Crate one:
186" x 12" x 12"

Crate two:
96" x 32" x 12"

Delivery via ABF from Vans to Chattanooga TN, is right at about 5 business days.
I picked up every shipment. They always load. I use a dolly to lift a end and place a flat dolly under. Repeat on the oposite end. Stap the crate to the flat dollys then slide them down the ramps into the shop. No problem.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Crate one:
186" x 12" x 12"

Crate two:
96" x 32" x 12"

Thanks for posting those dimension Lynn. I was planning on picking them up myself so now I know how big a trailer to use. Also, good luck and may the shipping gods be in your favor that there is no damage.
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 PM

Today's the day!! Wings are here in my garage!

They were actually ready for me to pick up yesterday, but I had promised a friend I'd help him with something, so I didn't get them until this evening. The total cost was $315 from Vans to Chattanooga, TN. via ABF.

The crates are sitting in my garage, ready to be cracked open, which I am about to do :-)

The crates look undamaged except for the widest box. It had one of its skids ripped off but looks unhurt. I took plenty of photos after the ABF guys loaded them just in case.

Heres the build log entry for the delivery: http://theskunkwerx.com/rv7/wing-delivery-day/

Wing Kit on its way!

Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Today's the day!! Wings are here in my garage!

They were actually ready for me to pick up yesterday, but I had promised a friend I'd help him with something, so I didn't get them until this evening. The total cost was $315 from Vans to Chattanooga, TN. via ABF.

The crates are sitting in my garage, ready to be cracked open, which I am about to do :-) ...
Yea!. Must have killed you to wait!
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Crate one:
186" x 12" x 12"

Crate two:
96" x 32" x 12"

There must be at least 300 Lbs of paper in those boxes
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Larry: Indeed. the wait was horrible!! Like a kid having to go to bed on Christmas Eve :-)

Bret: Dude..... SO...MUCH...PAPER!!!

And that was just from the Skins crate. There is an equal amount I pulled from the Spar crate.
Wing Kit on its way!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Default Paper

I saved a lot of mine. Rolled the sheets for storage and later use for paint work. Some was donated to local shops for packing.
Disclaimer