- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Good info - thanks for the input.
The TransMon reading through the shield...the shield is actually supposed to prevent that if my electronics classes memory serves me right.
I'll keep an eye on the multiple displays as mine is set up for the MX-20 through RS-422 on the 'other' port 1 (there are two options for port 1...pins 12,13,30, and 31 or pins 5 and 24 depending which pull down you select in the console) while port 2 is supposed to provide FIS and TIS to my AFS3400EE and GRT Mini-AP. Since I didn't know about the pull-down options for port 1 - I didn't wire port 2...yet! Now that my unit is out for repair, I'll take the opportunity to wire that port for the other devices and see if I have a similar issue as yours.

Mine is also a -013 and the ARINC goes to my 430W for traffic only.

The simulator works great for both the 430W and the MX-20 - we'll see when I get port 2 wired!

At a minimum, there should be a software revision to support the AD resolution - maybe they'll fix the display issues at the same time.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recapen View Post
Mine is also a -013 and the ARINC goes to my 430W for traffic only.
Me too and it works great, but I wish Garmin would use GPS Track to build a heading, in lieu of a real heading signal from an HSI, etc. Without a heading signal, as you know, traffic won't appear on the main map page, only on the traffic page.

Quote:
At a minimum, there should be a software revision to support the AD resolution - maybe they'll fix the display issues at the same time.
That's my hope cause I'd really like to have Display 2 available. In addition to an AD fix, we're still owed 1090 reception, so if Navworx survives, that should drive a software update in and of itself.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The TransMon reading through the shield...the shield is actually supposed to prevent that if my electronics classes memory serves me right.
Yep. The device works best with crummy coax, not at all with ideal coax.
I still don't understand how the FAA approved the use of the Transmon, but I seem to be beating a dead horse.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 AM

Yea Bob, that's my thoughts too. When I was in the market I called Navworx and asked them about the reliability of the Transmon, because I've never trusted inductance type devices as much as a hard connection. They assured me it was 100% solid and reliable. My friend installed the same system (he has a -0012 non ARINC) so it was easy to compare the two airplanes and swap parts to troubleshoot. His system came on line (would turn green) within a few minutes of power up because it would get valid data from his Transmon. Mine would sometimes take 30 minutes or more to get data from the Transmon and once everything turned green, it might only last for a few minutes before turning red again.

My friend could fly a single 800' AGL pattern and have a good PAPRR (flying well below FAA Radar coverage), whereas I could fly a 100 mile XC solidly within Radar coverage and have a bad one. Navworx told me my problem was that I wasn't being interrogated by an airliner or ground radar and my friend probably was, but four months of flying the exact same routes and altitudes as my friend, with him having good PAPRRs 100% of the time and me having bad PAPRRs 100% of the time convinced me that that probably wasn't the case.

So I agree, just because the FAA blessed it is no reason to blindly trust the Transmon schema if you are having no-transmit, BARO ALT, or Mode 3A problems.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAJohnson View Post
Navworx told me my problem was that I wasn't being interrogated by an airliner or ground radar
s.
I have never been able to find the reg that says your ADSB-out is allowed to not meet the standards when no airliners are around. My home airport is inside the SFO mode C veil but has no radar coverage down low.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Wow... I also have my WiFi adapter hooked up to display 2. Also get no TIS, just wx info from the WiFi. Now it makes sense! Hope they get this fixed with a software update.

UOTE=JohnAJohnson;1154808]Two problems with the ADS600-B (-013 ARINC)...

1. I never could get the Transmon to reliably send Mode 3A and BARO ALT to the ADS600-B. 25 PAPRRS and all but one had errors for both, usually greater than 30%. After swapping EVERYTHING, and rewiring completely, I installed an encoder with an RS232 out and fed BARO ALT directly to the ADS600-B, and sent the squawk code directly from my GTX327 to the ADS600-B. Removed Transmon, and it has performed flawlessly since. The Transmon is not as reliable as a direct connection and in my case, on my airplane, it just flat would not work reliably and was not a viable option. To elaborate, I tried everything, including swapping the Transmon, ADS600-B box, Transponder (GTX327), Transponder antenna, and running new RG400, relocating the transponder antenna, and rewiring the entire system, including installing new pins, and replacing the Transmon USB cable. All, no help.

2. Display 2 will not output TIS-B. I initially installed a Bluetooth Adapter on Display 1, and the Navworx WIFI Adapter on Display 2. No matter what, I couldn't get traffic out of the WIFI on Display 2. I talked to Navworx and was assured that if the Console showed traffic in the log, it is going to all three Display Ports. But I'm here to tell you that Display 2, while outputting FIS-B just fine, is not getting TIS-B. A software bug. There are a few of us that have found this out the hard way and if enough of us tell Bill about it, he might start believing it. To get around the problem, I had to install a selector switch. Here's how I ended up wiring the system: http://southshore.com/~jaj/avionics/NavworxWiring.pdf[/quote]
Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 PM

When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Pretty sure I tested my GRT hooked up to display 2 on the ground.. If I remember correctly, it showed traffic through the simulator. I realize that's not a great test, but hopefully that's a good sign. Would really prefer the WiFi to work though...

QUOTE=recapen;1156220]When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both![/quote]
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshan130 View Post
Pretty sure I tested my GRT hooked up to display 2 on the ground.. If I remember correctly, it showed traffic through the simulator. I realize that's not a great test, but hopefully that's a good sign. Would really prefer the WiFi to work though...

Quote:
When I get mine back from NavWorx, I'll have display 2 connected to my GRT via serial so I'll let you know if I get one or both!

The simulator should be a fine check to determine the output of Display 1 and Display 2. Page 99 of the installation manual shows the GRT connected to Display 1, but footnote 12 says it can be connected to Display 2 as well. So right now, one or the other (GRT or WIFI) probably works, but I suspect not both. Good news is that one of the guys on the Beechtalk site says Navworx is aware of the problem and it'll be fixed with a software update.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Default I got an update

My unit is still in work awaiting parts - no estimate on repair date...although the response indicates that a repair of some sort is required.

Keeping my fingers crossed!