VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Gandalf Gandalf is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 267
Default 46-01 Cooling Shroud Deleted

Having just installed the cooling shroud, I note that it has been deleted.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv12.htm

Update 46 10-26-2016
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:57 PM
LittleJoeA LittleJoeA is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 116
Default

I have it cut out, fitted, clecoed and ready for fiberglass. Now I will remove it and fill the holes. A lot of time invested at this point, but if it's not needed there is no sense spending more time.
__________________
Joe Arluck
Livermore, CA
RV-12, S/N 120419
Empennage/Tailcone finished
Wings finished
Most of Finishing Kit finished
"It's sitting on the Landing Gear"
Engine mostly installed
Avionics Kit in Hand
Currently fitting wings
Paid 2017
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Gandalf Gandalf is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoeA View Post
I have it cut out, fitted, clecoed and ready for fiberglass. Now I will remove it and fill the holes. A lot of time invested at this point, but if it's not needed there is no sense spending more time.
Hi Joe.. Do me a favor and call VANs first. I only note that the cooling shroud over the engine fins has been deleted on new power plant builds. I would think that if the cooling shroud is left in place over the engine fins it would trap heat without a properly installed forced air supply.

Jeff

Last edited by Gandalf : 11-10-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2016, 12:36 AM
LittleJoeA LittleJoeA is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 116
Default

Jeff,

Will Do. Thanks

Joe
__________________
Joe Arluck
Livermore, CA
RV-12, S/N 120419
Empennage/Tailcone finished
Wings finished
Most of Finishing Kit finished
"It's sitting on the Landing Gear"
Engine mostly installed
Avionics Kit in Hand
Currently fitting wings
Paid 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM
magiccarpet's Avatar
magiccarpet magiccarpet is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland, Europe
Posts: 141
Default Shroud or no shroud

My engine kit was delivered with the FF-1207 cooling shroud. Then in the meanwhile Van's got rid of it in their revised section 46. So I have the option wheter to install it or not.
If it does not make any real difference in cooling I d'rather skip to install it due to additional weight, easier access to the engine and to comply with the latest KAI rev.

So I am looking for pros and cons. and experience from pilots who fly the -12 without the shroud.
What I neither have found so far is an explanation why that shroud has become obsolete.
If anybody can enlight me about that, I very much appreciate it.
Thanks
__________________
Chris, RV-12 HB-YSC
Empennage, tailcone, wings and fuselage done
Engine and avionics installation done
Preparing for final assembly

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2017

Last edited by magiccarpet : 03-21-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Jamesey Jamesey is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hartlepool, England
Posts: 152
Default A bit confusing

At the same stage. Vans have obviously done a cut and paste with the new section 46. Remove the ignition modules for example. Cannot see how to complete this without removing the manifold which is no longer called for. The drawings have not changed from the old version so no clues there. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM
John-G John-G is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 460
Default

Folks Ö here is my take on the issue.

Without knowing if there is a significant reason for Vanís decision like hot spots on the cylinders, ect, Ö. Iím guessing the added benefit of having the cooling shroud versus the potential issues involved by Vanís requiring builders to remove the upper portion of the Rotax engine to install the shroud may have been a contributing factor in Vanís decision. Not to mention perhaps even behind the scenes Rotax warranty issues.

Cumulatively, there are many thousands of hours on RV-12ís with the cooling shroud in place without any adverse engine issues being reported that we are aware of Ö so that is a known entity. That said, if I had the parts, I would install them.

Another thought comes to mind Ö with the shroud off is there more of a potential for the rising heat from the cylinder fins to contribute to vapor lock at the carbs or fuel lines? Ö especially after a short refueling stop or restroom break on hot days? I would think the shroud over the cylinders helps mitigate the negative effects of rising heat from the cylinders heating the fuel.
__________________
John
www.dogaviation.com
RV-12 Wings, Empennage, Fuselage, Finishing, Avionics and Powerplant kits all completed
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Phantom30's Avatar
Phantom30 Phantom30 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID/Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Folks Ö here is my take on the issue.

Without knowing if there is a significant reason for Vanís decision like hot spots on the cylinders, ect, Ö. Iím guessing the added benefit of having the cooling shroud versus the potential issues involved by Vanís requiring builders to remove the upper portion of the Rotax engine to install the shroud may have been a contributing factor in Vanís decision. Not to mention perhaps even behind the scenes Rotax warranty issues.

Cumulatively, there are many thousands of hours on RV-12ís with the cooling shroud in place without any adverse engine issues being reported that we are aware of Ö so that is a known entity. That said, if I had the parts, I would install them.

Another thought comes to mind Ö with the shroud off is there more of a potential for the rising heat from the cylinder fins to contribute to vapor lock at the carbs or fuel lines? Ö especially after a short refueling stop or restroom break on hot days? I would think the shroud over the cylinders helps mitigate the negative effects of rising heat from the cylinders heating the fuel.
Interesting point regarding our "auto-gas preferred " engines...the cooling fairing being a heat shield below carb lines/bowls. Would like to hear from builders that haven't installed them who fly out of higher heat areas.
__________________
Ric Dickison
307 (CAB) Phantom
Search and Destroy (Can
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM
magiccarpet's Avatar
magiccarpet magiccarpet is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland, Europe
Posts: 141
Default That's what Van's says

Thanks a lot for your inputs on that. Interesting thought about potential vapor locks. I also wonder what Synergy does in their serial production.
Anyhow, here's the answer from mothership to my question why the shroud has become obsolete.
Further testing showed insufficient benefit from the shroud so we eliminated it to keep the kit cost down, and reduce the work required.

I am still curious to get pireps using that setting.
__________________
Chris, RV-12 HB-YSC
Empennage, tailcone, wings and fuselage done
Engine and avionics installation done
Preparing for final assembly

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2017
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 7,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Interesting point regarding our "auto-gas preferred " engines...the cooling fairing being a heat shield below carb lines/bowls. Would like to hear from builders that haven't installed them who fly out of higher heat areas.
The carb. float bowls already have a metal heat shield below them, called a drip tray.
The carbs are not above the aft cylinders so the shroud likely has little effect in shielding them while on the ground.
__________________
Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.