VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up Nice

Always fun seeing and hearing about people getting started. It will be an amazing journey. Enjoy it all, you will learn so much.

Blue skies.

Osh 11,12,15. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 3 trips and 12 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Thanks for the words of encouragement

Shamit
I discovered during the practice kits the DRDT2 doesn't set rivets so I use the squeezer or the compressor. I was planning to have the tail done before the wings showed up, but I realized I am taking twice as long as others. I am in no hurry and still try to balance family. But the education I am receiving is not what I expected.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Default Making real hardware, not scrap

This weekend, I was able to complete the right side of the horizontal stabilizer. And the local high school celebrated with fireworks.

This was a major riveting sessions. I wish I would have bought a tungsten bucking bar for the nose ribs; it is really hard getting in there; those rivets aren't pretty but acceptable because I had to make do with the bars I had. I tried using a big chisel and other thin steel objects, but they just didn't have the mass to buck. It can be done with the standard bucking bars, but just takes time and yoga.

This kit is very precisely made; if the holes are off by a few thousandths of an inch, then something is wrong. The skin needed some clearance filing around the front spar brackets. Otherwise the skin would have been right up against the brackets. This could produce a squeak in flight, or worse, be a start for skin cracking. A few swipes of a jeweler file relieved the skin a few hundredths of an inch.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Wings 50%

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 10-16-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:05 PM

Buy that tungsten bucking bar now. You'll thank me every time you rivet.

Let me know if you want a tech counselor visit. I'm happy to fly up to LA any time.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 10-17-2016, 08:35 PM

I'm following your build closely. I was all set for starting a 10 next fall. Now looking to start a 9A sooner.
N517NC ( reserved)
Dues Paid
NOV 2016
July 2017
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 PM

HA! Hope you have more than that.

The panel is the expensive part but whatever you spend it will be well worth the money,
Even my wife agrees !!!
RV9's rock
Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 PM

Default Busy few weeks

These last few weeks have seen great progress.

The horizontal stabilizer is complete less the rear spar; waiting for the rear spar to be primed before installation. The vertical stabilizer is ready to be primed, then riveted.

I had a tech counselor visit and reviewed my work to date; all is well. We went for a quick flight in his RV9; it flies really well and seems to yearn to be in the sky.

The tech counselor showed me his tungsten bucking bar, and I now own one too. This is a must have tool in my opinion, especially for the front rivets in the horizontal stab. I would recommend buying the smaller bar, something like the 1/2" x 1/2" x 4" for less than $100. I got a slightly larger one and it seems a little over kill for the tail feathers, but will probably be good for the beefier fuselage and wing rivets.

In addition to finishing the horizontal stab and making good progress on the vertical stab, I picked up the wing kit from the factory. I also picked up Proseal for the rudder and the locking gas caps. I would like to have the wings started before the New Year.

Wings 50%

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 11-06-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 AM

Looking good, John! The hardest thing about that horizontal stab was threading it through the front door and into the spare bedroom for storage.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 PM

The wings are much easier to build than the empennage. A lot of repetition but the final product of a SB wing is beautiful. I recommend doing both wings simultaneously. Enjoy!
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 AM

Take your time and enjoy it. Most builders I know do miss it when it is completed. I just started the wings on my RV9 and it is indeed a lot more repetitive compared to the empennage. I kinda like that, but I also planned ahead based on different builder sites I follow. One of the things that you can do ahead is preparing the ribs for example. It is time consuming and you don't want to do this all at once. No rush, enjoy!
RV9 #92188 - Working on wings