VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Default RV-9A, pilotjohns

Well the fun begins. Took the $50000 free test flight this morning and have a RV9 tailkit in the car, heading back to Los Angeles.

Been dreaming of building since i was 17.

Plan is for cross country machine io320 high altitude cruiser. G3X glass. Basic and simple.

What I built before from scratch; no plans, no nothing except a skillsaw, a makita drill and a bunch of homemade jigs.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2017, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 50%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 10-30-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM

That's awesome John, Good Luck with the build.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 06-27-2016, 04:42 PM

Good luck. It WILL change your life if you stick with it. Just imagine, before long you won't think twice about heading across the country at 13.5k' sucking on a little O2 with the autopilot set, eating a sandwich and watching the world go by.

I'm still trying to unlock the mystery of why a subway sandwich above 12k' tastes so darn good.

Let me introduce you to your neighbor and my good buddy Rosie. You should be just in time for 2019...
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 PM

Default We are all ears

Welcome John nice to have you here.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Well the fun begins. Took the $50000 free test flight this morning and have a RV9 tailkit in the car, heading back to Los Angeles.

Been dreaming of building since i was 17.

Plan is for cross country machine io320 high altitude cruiser. G3X glass. Basic and simple.
$50,000? HA! Hope you have more than that.

I'd be happy to give you a motivation flight any time. I'm down in SD.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2016 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 06-27-2016, 08:21 PM

Talking Thanks

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Bruce I just might take you up on your offer. And Vald, you are my motivator with all your stories.
On my bucket list is a flight to Puerto Rico, so.....

Derek and Scott, Hope you don't mind a few questions in the future; it is great to have people like you in this community.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Wings 50%

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 06-28-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Added pictures

Hi all I just added pictures to first post

Wings 50%
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Status Update

Just an update on where I have been.

After the great big learning curve on airplane tools, I think it is time to begin. The tools were not really more expensive than I anticipated, but just mind numbing with all the options. I think this is where a weekend course or the guidance of an experience builder would come in handy; before buying having tried the tools on a sample project, or helping another builder and learning the tools, would probably have saved some grief. But I do want to thank my friends who have stepped up and helped my out with tools they no longer use.

I started looking at the practice kit, and realized one of the first tools I need, is not one I had anticipated buying right away; that is a close quarters dimple die set. But the practice kit needs this for the ribs. So that is on the way. These tools are not really expensive in terms of dollars, but are in terms of time waiting to get started.

Next stop on this journey is completion of the practice kit, to see if I feel good enough to start on things that will leave this earth (and I don't mean being flung across the yard in a desperate rage)

I made the standard EAA workbench... except I used 3/4 melamine, made a 2 inch lip all around for clamping, and added inserts to hold the DRDT2. I also made a lazy susan for the drill press, grinder and belt sander (not shown) so that I can put this up against the wall and minimize wall space for these tools. Notice the tail feathers on the shelf with the earthquake safety straps around the boxes ;-) Next to the band saw is the real estate for the compressor. Hopefully I can wire it for 220V to minimize the light flicker when it turns on. Besides the compressor, the only thing left to do is add the retractable power cord and retractable air hose, both mounted on the ceiling.

Wings 50%
Old 08-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Default RV-9A, pilotjohns

Just a word of advice, you may already know this, but..... Don't get in a hurry and buy electronics, wait until you need to install them, they will evolve, get better and sometimes cheaper. War Story Alert: I know a guy who has been building for over 20 years, he has a NIB Northstar Loran on the shelf. Don't buy an engine until you need it, keep an eye for good deals while you build and know the going rate before pulling the handle. Chrome and fancy paint doesn't make it run a bit better. And the last piece of advice that served me well on my RV-9A build, (13 build months) do something every day, and don't quit until you have set no less than 10 rivets. Good luck and build on. Dan
Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 AM

The lazy susan is a good idea, haven't seen that before. It might be desirable to include the ability to clamp it or have a rotation lock at some point. Something to allow for.

Have fun building!

Dave
RV-3B now aligning fuselage bulkheads