VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Default priming the inside of tubes...and fit

I am little surprised with the fit issues, never saw this so far with two builds. Not sure how the cuts are being made to length, this can roll the edge over etc....nevertheless, it is what it is for your fit, I am not doubting you are seeing real fit issues. I can say what I do for the inside of torque tubes, is to use a spray can of zinc chromate primer, and keep it very thin, really "fogging" the inside more than trying to deliver a paint coating of x mil thick. At the ends I wipe clean with acetone, easily removes primer (spray cans are not an epoxy), when assembling (after drilling & deburring) and ready to rivet I spray again and assemble while still wet, if anything, the paint is now a anti-corrosion adhesive and then rivet per call out. I am big believer of chromate-based primers (non-epoxy) inside tubes because the chromate will "migrate" and protect the entire tube surface for a long long time. I personally do not like chromates for a lot of reasons, but the anti-corrosion power is second to none and used correctly, are quite safe.
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM

I also had to sand down the rod ends slightly by chucking in a drill. It didn't take much to get a proper fit.

RV-14A in progress
Empennage complete(-ish)
QB wings and Fuse in progress
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightsRV7 View Post
I am little surprised with the fit issues, never saw this so far with two builds. Not sure how the cuts are being made to length, this can roll the edge over etc....nevertheless, it is what it is for your fit, I am not doubting you are seeing real fit issues. I can say what I do for the inside of torque tubes, is to use a spray can of zinc chromate primer, and keep it very thin, really "fogging" the inside more than trying to deliver a paint coating of x mil thick. At the ends I wipe clean with acetone, easily removes primer (spray cans are not an epoxy), when assembling (after drilling & deburring) and ready to rivet I spray again and assemble while still wet, if anything, the paint is now a anti-corrosion adhesive and then rivet per call out. I am big believer of chromate-based primers (non-epoxy) inside tubes because the chromate will "migrate" and protect the entire tube surface for a long long time. I personally do not like chromates for a lot of reasons, but the anti-corrosion power is second to none and used correctly, are quite safe.
I had fit issues before priming on the uncut end as well as the cut end.
A light sanding with a Dremel tool wheel seemed to solve the issue for me.
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N810AB Reserved
2016-2017 Dues Paid