VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 AM

Is it possible to weld these holes closed on the existing bracket and re-drill them? It has been some time since I did these but seem to remember they were steel(chrome-moly)? That is my recollection.
Done first engine start.Canopy sikaflexed.
Canopy fibreglass
IO 320 D1A
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet2008 View Post
Is it possible to weld these holes closed on the existing bracket and re-drill them? It has been some time since I did these but seem to remember they were steel(chrome-moly)? That is my recollection.
Yes, easily done.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Default which aileron bracket?

My newly aquired 9A has a heavy left wing..so much the trim wont relieve it.
after much measuring and consternation, I believe the wings are very close to the same incidence, about .3 degrees averaged over 6 places. (3 tenths)
There is a twist in the right side aileron, its 1/2 inch high on the outboard end when the inboard is held even with the trailing edge of the flap. hmm..a little upward bow in the trailing edge of it also. adjusting the left flap down 3 degrees farther than the right side takes the pressure off. Dont like this solution. aircraft rides rougher.
now..in regards to the ailerons, they are BOTH quite a bit higher at the leading edge than the wing. when I lay a straight edge across the wing and aileron, there is quite a gap..over a quarter inch at the wing just in front of the aileron.
A close examination of the fiberglass tip..the right side tip has an pretty good dish in the underside trailing edge, with the trailing edge low.

In examining the ailerons, and reading the solutions offered here, its not clear to me just which hole should be slotted, or redrilled, or whatever. Is it in the thin pieces on the aileron, or in the heavier bracket that is riveted to the wing?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 AM

check the flaps. they should be aligned to the wing not the fuselage.

Simplicity is the art in design.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:17 PM

Since you didn't build the airplane there are some details you would not be aware of that are important to know when working on rigging / trim.

- Checking alignment of ailerons to flaps or wing tips is of little value when it is unknown if the tips are correctly positioned or whether the flaps have any twist in them. The best way to check for twist in flaps and ailerons (any control surface for that matter) is with a digital level. restrain the surface so it can't move and check with the level on the flat portion at each end.

- It is normal for the ailerons to appear bulged outside of the profile of the wing. They are designed to be slightly larger than a nominal shape would be if you just extended the shape profile of the wing. This helps maintain good flow attachment on the aileron.
A 1/4 gap sounds excessive though. This could be caused by the top skin not laying where it should. This is caused by the top flange on the rear spar not being at the correct bend angle.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Default 9A aileron alignment

On my 9A one of the wingtips is not quite properly aligned, a little low to trailing edge. That affects wings level flight. Ailerons are just where they should be.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Default flaps

Thanks for the reply Steve.
The Flaps definitively are not in alignment now with the fuse. Prior to my adjustment, they were even with the fuse at the root..both the same..no gap. now..the left flap after I adjusted it far enough to take the pressure off the stick..is about 3/4 inch lower at the trailing edge next to the fuse. This equated to a 3 degree increase on my Stabila digital level.
IN regards to being aligned with the wings. Not sure where to reference.
Should the top of the flaps when retracted (full up) be perfectly level with the top of the wing? (which has a bit of a dip in the last foot of airfoil)

when I lay a 4 ft level across the aileron and flap,, and I pull the aileron to match the bottom of the level, the leading edge of the aileron is high enough that the level does not touch the wing for about a foot, with the gap under it better than a 1/4 inch at the trailing edge of the wing.

I dont have the blueprints for this craft btw, the builder passed away before I got them..about two weeks after I bought it. I have the builders manual, the builders photo log, and the aircraft logs..still hoping the widow finds the prints.
Kitfox IV (SOLD)
Luscombe 8A (for sale)

Last edited by N333M : 05-29-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N333M View Post

I dont have the blueprints for this craft btw, the builder passed away before I got them..about two weeks after I bought it. I have the builders manual, the builders photo log, and the aircraft logs..still hoping the widow finds the prints.
I suggest you start with getting a copy of the plans and manual. It is available from Van's in digital format on a USB drive for $10.

Then start from the outboard end aligning the ailerons with the main wing as described in the plans (this will require removing the wing tips). Then work inboard from the outboard end of the aileron looking for twist and misalignment between the ailerons, flaps and fuselage.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 PM

10 Bucks?..OMG..I'll order those tomorrow!
Thanks! I was afraid they would want 500 dollars!
Kitfox IV (SOLD)
Luscombe 8A (for sale)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 PM

Default Importance of aileron trailing edge raduius!

Excellent advice above to assure effective coponents are working together properly. That said, i recently posted re: RV3 that I was able to transition from C172!aileron feel to fingertip rolls just due to aileron traling edge radius. Just another datapoint for your quest !
Clinton, IN