VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Heavy wing

You can also squeeze down the trailing edge radius of the light wing's aileron. (double check me on this.. I think it's the light wing if I remember correctly). This is addressed in the builders manual. I learned the hard way after installing rebuilt ailerons on my 4 without squeezing down the trailing edges to the proper radius. Almost could not control the roll once I got airborne, and to put it lightly it was a eye opening experience! This is called "aileron snap", and not being the builder I was completely unaware of this.
Long story short... It makes a big difference simply by slight squeezing of the trailing edge of the aileron.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
You can also squeeze down the trailing edge radius of the light wing's aileron. (double check me on this.. I think it's the light wing if I remember correctly). This is addressed in the builders manual. I learned the hard way after installing rebuilt ailerons on my 4 without squeezing down the trailing edges to the proper radius. Almost could not control the roll once I got airborne, and to put it lightly it was a eye opening experience! This is called "aileron snap", and not being the builder I was completely unaware of this.
Long story short... It makes a big difference simply by slight squeezing of the trailing edge of the aileron.
A good data point and an important step. However, the 9&10 use riveted trailing edges and are not raidused and nonadjustable.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:59 AM

A couple turns on a flap actuator rod can have a pretty significant difference too. It's really hard to build an 8ft flap without a little bit of twist, so even if your ailerons and flaps line up, your flap position could be part of the problem. It addressed most of my heavy wing.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018
Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM

Default Heavy wing

I have cured several airplanes including my 9A with a couple of turns on the flap push rod. Lower the flap on the heavy wing side and it does work within reason. Major problems with a heavy wing may require more bold actions.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Heavy left wing

Looking for a little help in that after installing a new AutoPilot (two axis) I have a very heavy left wing? Has anyone experienced this type of thing. My A&P actually installed it for me, I didn't have this before the installation?
Thanks for the help.
Mooney Statesman (Sold)
Cessna 172 (Sold)

Macomb MI
57D
Old 02-19-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
A couple turns on a flap actuator rod can have a pretty significant difference too. It's really hard to build an 8ft flap without a little bit of twist, so even if your ailerons and flaps line up, your flap position could be part of the problem. It addressed most of my heavy wing.
my heavy wing was the flap. set the flap to the wing not the fuse.

Simplicity is the art in design.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Ellison View Post
Looking for a little help in that after installing a new AutoPilot (two axis) I have a very heavy left wing? Has anyone experienced this type of thing. My A&P actually installed it for me, I didn't have this before the installation?
Thanks for the help.
If the wing was not heavy before installing he roll servo, then the aileron rigging was screwed up when the servo was installed.

Rig the ailerons.

Carl
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 PM

Default Heavy wing

Sure sounds like the aileron rigging got fouled up during the AP install. Go back and re-rig the ailerons starting withe aileron rigging fixture (Stick). After that you can redo the AP servos.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Aileron hinge bracket

I found out that Vans doesn't offer a blank hinge bracket for the RV9.
They said they do have one for the 6 model but I would need to do some trimming to make it fit the 9. Has anyone tried to make a blank aileron hinge bracket for the 6 work for the 9? If so what is the difference and what do you have to do to make it work?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Default Simple

I did this for one bracket on my 9A. Adjust the hole position relative to the rod end bearing bolt hole and drill the first hole, raise or lower the hole by the desired amount. Then use the original bracket as a drill jig for the other hole. The bracket is longer than the original 9 bracket, so just use the original bracket profile to trim the new one to match. Prime and paint.