VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Heavy Wing correction

Greetings all. I've perused the site looking for some kind of indication of which direction I need to move my aileron if I want to increase/decrease lift on one side or the other. I have a slightly heavy wing requiring full trim to fly hands off. I have followed Van's troubleshooting notes but I can't seem to find out which direction I need to move the aileron. I can't find much if any measured difference in the aileron height so I thought I would take one side and lower/raise it to increase lift on that side.

Can somebody who has made the adjustment to the hinges tell me which direction I need to move the aileron to increase lift?

Thanks,

Darin
RV-10 Building - tail feathers
www.DarinAnderson.com
2017 donation sent!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Darin,

Assuming you have made your heavy wing assessment with both tanks equal and two somewhat equal mass occupants, the ball is centered and all fairings are aligned....and you still have a heavy wing, have you thought of trying a trim wedge instead of relocating the aileron hinge?

You can attach an trim wedge on the underside of one of the ailerons, which will cause it to be deflected up, thus a down ward wing heavy influence. I used double-sided carpet tape and it has worked great for 112 hrs. You can vary the affect by trimming the span wise length of the trim wedge. Most folks place the wedge behind the inboard hinge opposite the control rod.

Once you fine tune the problem, you leave the wedge in place or epoxy it in place. Re-drilling the aileron hinge is somewhat permanent and non adjustable.

I fly a 9A and if all masses are equal, it flies pretty straight and wings level. An imbalance of 5 gallons of fuel or more or single pilot ops, it will gain a heavy wing, but can be trimmed out.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the information. Yes I actually do have a small trim tab on my right aileron but the inner perfectionist in me doesn't like the look of it. Even if it were not visible, I would see it. Adjusting the aileron is permanent, true, but I think that would make me feel better. I can always replace a hinge if I goof it up. :-)
www.DarinAnderson.com
2017 donation sent!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM

If the leading edge of an aileron is high, that wing will be "heavy". So you need to lower the leading edge of the aileron on the heavy wing. It doesn't take much. Vans sells undrilled brackets for this purpose.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Thank you Bob, thats exactly the answer I was looking for.
www.DarinAnderson.com
2017 donation sent!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:51 PM

I have a heavy left wing. I did the redrill and lowered the left aileron about 1/16" and it had absolutely no effect. I'm now flying with a wedge on the right wing and that has completely cured the problem.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2016 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 02-01-2016, 04:56 PM

Was it sticking up to begin with? On my -10, the right aileron was clearly (by 1/32 or 1/16"!) higher than the wing airfoil, and I was right wing heavy. Lowering that aileron removed the right wing heaviness. So I guess the answer is YMMV.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Default How can you tell?

Hi Bob, how did you measure your wing to determine that the aileron was 1/32 to 1/16 high? Did you use a straight edge on the top of the wing or the bottom? Using the Van's method is a bit confusing because if I read it correctly the tooling holes in both the wing rib and the aileron should line up but they don't...not even close.
www.DarinAnderson.com
2017 donation sent!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Eyeballs seemed to work best for me. With ailerons in trail, I stood in front of the wing and looked down the top, aft third of the wing to the aileron. On the right wing the transition was smooth, on the left there was a little "step up" at the aileron. A straight edge confirmed this but I felt my eyeball was a bit better at seeing this. BTW, it was only the outboard bracket, not the inboard one.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I have a heavy left wing. I did the redrill and lowered the left aileron about 1/16" and it had absolutely no effect. I'm now flying with a wedge on the right wing and that has completely cured the problem.
Same here on my 6. I observed a bit of wing twist on my left wing while setting the incidence and I believe this twist and ultimate incidence difference between left and right is causing my heavy left wing (further evidenced by the dropping left wing in a stall). However, I tried all of the different methods discussed on this site, as they are all preferable remedies to a trim tab. My learning from all of that was that there are several causes of wing heaviness and different remedies for each.

Larry