- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 AM

Default Mounting Bracket for iPad

I’m using a mini iPad with ForeFlight and have been strapping the device on my leg. I’d really like to mount the unit on a swivel bracket and position it at the lower edge of the panel. See sketch below. Does anyone know the correct RAM mount to use for this application? I’m thinking perhaps a ball could be mounted to the bottom panel of the instrument bay and the mounting arm could be brought forward to support the iPad and allow angular adjustment. Also would nice if entire unit can be removed when flying local when iPad is not needed.

PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 244

Last edited by Piper J3 : 01-28-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 AM

I use a ball mount bolted to the panel over by the intercom. That way you can choose the length of the arm you want - three choices from RAM. Works great.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Default Tablet integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I use a ball mount bolted to the panel over by the intercom. That way you can choose the length of the arm you want - three choices from RAM. Works great.
Could you provide an image of your tablet mount solution? I am currently evaluating which position is best to integrate my tablet to the panel. The upper part of the middle console will be occupied by back-up analog instruments (air speed and altimeter)
I first considered installing the tablet somewhere below throttle and choke levers, but it won't be ergonomic and safe to always move the head down.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2017
Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 AM

I'm re-thinking this a little bit... My plane does not have landing light, strobes, or autopilot so the switches located directly beneath the D-180 or basically inop. The only switch that is operable is the Avionics power switch and I leave that always powered. So my thought is to move the mount up and allow the top edge of the iPad to rest near the bottom of the D-180 which will cover the four switches mentioned above. I think this will be more esthetically pleasing and improve clearance for knees.

I'm envisioning an angled aluminum mounting tray that will pull out on a slider track when not needed. I'll post again when things start to jel.

PPL - 1970
Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM

I purchase a iPad holder with suction that fits under the panel of the RV12, without issues. I will look for the brand I purchased online, I believe it was under $25

The iPad mount

The iPad mount with the mini

The other nice feature is it is easy to see in the sun.
david@rv12pilot.com
2017 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik

Last edited by Dvalcik : 01-28-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Update to the iPad mini mounting in my RV12

I found it on Amazon $17.95

I turned the adjustable hinge 180 degrees since it mounts upside down. Jim hope that helps as one option.
david@rv12pilot.com
2017 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 01-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccarpet View Post
Could you provide an image of your tablet mount solution? I am currently evaluating which position is best to integrate my tablet to the panel. The upper part of the middle console will be occupied by back-up analog instruments (air speed and altimeter)
I first considered installing the tablet somewhere below throttle and choke levers, but it won't be ergonomic and safe to always move the head down.
Go here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=167921&row=38 to see picture.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the input...

I went out to the plane yesterday and held the iPad below the panel edge in both in portrait and landscape orientations. I then moved the unit up so the top edge covers my inop switches as stated in my second post above and I like it in this position. It will be angled approximately 45 degrees. The mount will be a piece of 0.062 x 4" x 10" aluminum. A 2" x 4 wide lip will be bent at 45 degrees to hold the plastic iPad mounting tray. The tray will be attached to the aluminum with 3M double-sided foam tape and a couple of small flathead screws. The remaining 8" straight section will be fastened to the bottom of the avionics bay with a couple of long strips of Velcro. This will allow me to remove the entire assembly with ease. The top edge of the plastic tray will have foam tape on the backside to allow the unit to press against the instrument panel and not scuff the painted surface. This should absorb vibration as well. Ill post some pictures of the final configuration in the next couple of days.
PPL - 1970
Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM

Jim,

I would not recommend locating your I-pad in a fixed 45 degree position. As sun angles change, it is nice to be able to slightly alter the tilt of the screen to reduce glare. I used a ram suction cup mount, mounted under the panel, with a series of adjustable arms. When I get around to it, I will replace the suction cup mount with a fixed ball mount. On long cross-country's I've had the suction cup mount release.

Regards,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 01-30-2016, 11:25 AM

Jim,

I use an iPad Mini too. I installed the Vans glare shield and attached a RAM ball to the bottom surface using an aluminum plate on the top surface for reinforcement. I use the 6" arm. It has worked great for the last two years.

I Haven't had the best of luck posting photos, but if you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you some pics when I get back in town on Monday.

Rich