Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Almost RV-14 seat mod from Anti-Splat?

Anybody out in the west Texas area with one of these installed? Your thoughts on it? I would love to sit in (or fly in) an airplane with this installed to try it before I buy it.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Greg I'm in McAllen which is not close but the seat mod and the tilting canopy are the best and most useful mods you can make to the 9 in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Default Try it - U'll like it.

I am 6'3" and was at the same point 2weeks ago. I live in SoCal and Allan of AntiSplat kindly offered his plane for my test sitting. 10 seconds sitting in it and I was sold. I liken it to sitting in my extended cab Tacoma with the seat back partially reclined. Adds a good amount of headroom too. Go check one out.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:20 PM

Wouldn't be without it! Contrary to Allan's web site you can put it in a tipup canopy. There are fairly good instructions in the download section of the antisplataero.com web site. I would make one change to those instructions if I were doing it again.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
Wouldn't be without it! Contrary to Allan's web site you can put it in a tipup canopy. There are fairly good instructions in the download section of the antisplataero.com web site. I would make one change to those instructions if I were doing it again.
....Please let us know the changes to the instructions you referred to. We offered those instructions to help the tip-up guys, but we have never did one of these ourselves. The instruction PDF was given to us by a fellow RVer, documenting his installation. If a change would help others please let us know and we can include it.Thanks, Allan..
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Default almost rv14 seat mod

I did the mod and my friend wrote up those instructions. I haven't done a second mod yet but after the first one it dawned on me that it might be better to install the new seat back before cutting out the original seat back. what we did worked fine but just might have worked a bit better to do the new back first. We also decided to not install the covers over the overcenter latches on each side as that required a lot of work for not much gain in my opinion. If anyone wants to come to Colorado I would be very willing to find a hangar and help with their mod install. Colorado makes a nice vacation.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 AM

Default Almost RV14 seat mod from Anti-Splat?

Guys: Just another take on the mod, I installed it on my -9A for its removability. I do "no more than 100 hrs between condition inspections" per my LODA for transition training, about 2 inspections per year. And since my flight suit size has been "short fat" for some time now, it was a real pain to wad up and squeeze my fat a.. under the stock seat back crossbar to access aft or forward areas. It takes about 10 minutes to remove 10 screws and bolts held in place with nutplates to completely remove Alan's new crossbar. Mucho better now. Dan from Reno.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 AM

I will be installing one of these mod kits in Ed Wischmeyer's -9A soon. I have been flying it a bit lately trying to get somewhat proficient at using the G3X touch and GTN650.

The airplane is comfortable enough once I am seated, but getting in and out is a huge pain. If I am not very careful my knees will contact the instrument panel, which could easily result in a cracked screen or broken knob. Just removing the seat back cushions makes a huge difference in instrument panel clearance for me when sliding down into the seated position. I am sure the seat back mod kit will make a huge difference.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post

Please explain more!
RV9 #91247/#91434
Old 01-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Default ty1295

Please check out my previous posts and especially checkout the download section of the antisplataero web site or call me at 303-772-2202 for answers to any question you might have.