VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-25-2015, 09:01 AM

The general comments of caution are appreciated and I may even instrument the engine, mount and airframe to see how much vibration is passing through the isolators. That said, there is a wide variety of "stiffer" engine isolators available for aerobatic aircraft - and in some cases, the very stiff "compression" side of the Lord isolators are recomended by Lord in all 8 locations for the hard core acro airplanes. And finally, solid polyurethane isolators are available from Spruce today for conical engines, so I'm not going too far off the reservation with this experiment.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Conical poly

I had poly conical in my -3 and you could feel every engine quirk. It wasnt bad but there was a difference. I did notice more vibration on the panel.

I wonder if you could machine out a 1" core and use a softer rubber material there and poly on the rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
The general comments of caution are appreciated and I may even instrument the engine, mount and airframe to see how much vibration is passing through the isolators. That said, there is a wide variety of "stiffer" engine isolators available for aerobatic aircraft - and in some cases, the very stiff "compression" side of the Lord isolators are recomended by Lord in all 8 locations for the hard core acro airplanes. And finally, solid polyurethane isolators are available from Spruce today for conical engines, so I'm not going too far off the reservation with this experiment.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Flying
Old 09-25-2015, 12:15 PM

Of course it works and sag is much reduced. With everything, there are usually tradeoffs and it depends what's most important to you. Only time will tell if the avionics or airframe suffers more problems or not. Engine sag is annoying and ugly for sure.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 413.5 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
...I wonder if you could machine out a 1" core and use a softer rubber material there and poly on the rest?
I am contemplating machining an air gap between the spacer and the body of the poly to try emulate the action of the Lord mounts, but I have to balance that with the shear loads on the remaining material. It will be an iterative process, for sure.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 09-28-2015, 06:31 PM

Why not switch to hard rubber. More compliant. If you can't source a "rod" to cut the shape from, maybe laminated sheet circles would work? Just an idea.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Laminated sheet might work if we were only dealing with compression loads, but the mounts have to deal with shear as well. Anyway, rubber is more compliant, but has a memory. Poly can handle billions of cycles and will retain original shape. That's the theory, anyway.

Flew it yesterday and hardly notice the vibration anymore. It's really not that bad unless you jump from rubber directly to poly and have the opportunity to compare the two.

Michael Robinson
Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 PM

Default Poly springs

There are different density polyurethane springs available too. We use them in the metal stamping industry for springs. They are large cylinder shapes, look like they could work for your raw material size. Maybe I can find someone at work to give me a source. Mitsumi comes to mind.
dues paid 2017
Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 AM

Default Urethane options

Urethane can be cast from liqued components just like epoxy. The durometer can be varied similar to to selecting slow and fast catalyst. Since tool builder has a lathe, simple molds can be formed for the task.

I did this for a Cont A40 mount to avoid the crude rubber sheet stock used in 1936. Just another option if you want to tinker.
Clinton, IN
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Urethane can be cast from liqued components just like epoxy. The durometer can be varied similar to to selecting slow and fast catalyst. Since tool builder has a lathe, simple molds can be formed for the task.

I did this for a Cont A40 mount to avoid the crude rubber sheet stock used in 1936. Just another option if you want to tinker.
This is what I did on mine. I machined the molds allowing for contraction, specified the durometer and they turned out great.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 413.5 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 AM

Ross (and Larry)

You poured the mounts yourself, or had them cast? I'm aware that they can be built to spec, but the idea of building a mold and pouring them at home is intriguing. How dimensionally accurate are they (contracion)?

Michael Robinson