VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 AM

I was able to get an updated SL-70 Installation manual. I'll scan it in next week after I get back from business travel - it will be available to anyone here that needs it. I'll do the stare and compare evaluation to find the different byte and let folks here know.

Meanwhile, it works with the ADS600B set for SL-70R and the SL-70 set for 9600 baud only. Will be flying a PAPR flight and then depending on the results, requesting a global AMOC for 200-0013 and 430W as external GPS source.

If someone is already working on this or hears of someone - get the word out! While we need multiple folks to submit for AMOC's, we don't need to inundate them with repeat requests after they have approved a certain variation!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Default failing do to lack of N

I was failing the compliance reports with my 600-exp unit. I went into the programming app on the iphone and did an ICAO ID over ride.
The way the software treated my N number was to delete the N at the beginning. By doing the manual over ride, I was able to get the UAT to broadcast my full N number, with the N.
That made the FAA happy. I got a compliance report with no red flags today in Prescott. I let the app developer know what I did to get a good report. Others may have to do the same, unless he changes the app.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 PM

I saw.your email and will follow up with you this week. The N in the number should be ignored and the remaining characters generate the ICAO number. This has worked fine for a year with no changes but it's always worth checking for strange bugs and edge cases. Generally you do NOT want to override the ICAO so this is indeed strange.

I'll be looking into it. And thanks for letting me know.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Thanks for reply on forum Neil. I will do some additonal flights this week, to be sure I stay compliant. Will the SIL code drop back from 3 if new software is installed?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Neil,

As I understood it, the NavWorx box had an internal copy of the FAA registry. It only knows the ICAO address of tails numbers that already exist. I don't know how it handles new-build airplanes without using the override function.

In other words, I think you have to use the override if that tail number didn't exist a few years ago.

By the way, you should also use the override any time you operate using a call sign other than your tail number with ATC (like a charity flight or other special use).

David
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Actually, it knows the formula. If you tell it an N number, it can calculate the ICAO hex code.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Okay, good. That's an improvement they made at some point. I suggested that they go to a formula-based solution a few years ago. I even gave them an example of the formula.

You'll still need the override when operating with ATC under a call sign instead of a tail number.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Default ICAO

Bob is correct. The PC configuration tool had (and probably still has) a dictionary mapping from N number to ICAO but in the US the mapping is an algorithm, so I implemented that for the iOS app.

And that's a good point, David, about callsign - though I honestly don't know what ATC will want in 2020 for something like an Angel Flight mission. It would be a hassle to have to change the call for those flights. I suspect just leaving the N number will work since that is effectively what ATC maps the ICAO to on their scopes right now.

My own test box had to go back to the shop so I have no way to explore this possible problem until I get a replacement.

Neil

Last edited by AllThumbs : 06-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Default pro bono assistance in code writing

I appreciate Neil's pro bono work for us here on this issue.
> I have done some flights with special mission call signs in the past. Simply using the phrase with the next controller is most effective. They may give you a shortcut or put you to the head of the line for departure. I don't think having the ADS-B call sign reflect the mission will really do anything in the practical sense. The potential for errors, in re-programming the UAT each time would be something to think about.
> As a side note, here in the cool air of the southwest, I have queried controllers on a variety of questions at times... while flying with ADS-B.
Most respond like you are asking about Latin. They just weren't trained for it, or seem to care at this point. It illustrates how far from the mandated date we still are... despite the marketing and also press coverage in the GA magazines.
I take full advantage of the weather products as well as warnings of other planes nearby though.... I would hate to give that up going forward.
Thanks ALLTHUMBS
Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Default "Clean" PAPR

Went for a flight today and got a "Clean" PAPR in my e-mail inbox.
I'll be submitting a Global AMOC for the 200-0013 ADS600B unit with a GNS430W as the external GPS source.

I have already had a number of conversations with the FAA folks in Ft Worth about this. Their last instruction was to submit the info requested in the 30-9 along with your PAPR.

Fingers crossed!