Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Ralph, good work. Hope you'll share if you're approved.

Bob
Old 06-18-2017, 04:51 PM

I'll let everyone know my results!
If my global AMOC gets approved, everyone with a 200-0013 and a 400W/500W series externally connected GPS will benefit. Thant's how I'm writing it!

Best I can do at sharing!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recapen View Post
I'll let everyone know my results!
If my global AMOC gets approved, everyone with a 200-0013 and a 400W/500W series externally connected GPS will benefit. Thant's how I'm writing it!

Best I can do at sharing!
Thanks, sounds like that'll help, but (from Kyle Cobble, FAA):

A global AMOC for the GNS430W would not automatically extend to the 400W. We will need to receive data and issue an AMOC for each GPS part number. However, if there is a global AMOC for the GNS430W, I would anticipate that it would make it quicker and easier to approve an AMOC for someone who proposes the GPS 400W.

So someone will have to go through the process for each model.

As for waiting on NavWorx as Indycanard suggests -- after so many missteps and misstatements (the latest being, that 430W et-al would be approved as alternate position sources in the forthcoming AD), the needle on my "benefit of the doubt" meter has pegged. I believe that to the extent possible, we need to take control of the process ourselves. Unfortunately we'll still need the promised SW update to report the approved position source -- I think?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6n6r View Post
Thanks, sounds like that'll help, but (from Kyle Cobble, FAA):

A global AMOC for the GNS430W would not automatically extend to the 400W. We will need to receive data and issue an AMOC for each GPS part number.

So someone will have to go through the process for each model.
It's worse than that. If Kyle really sticks to that strict interpretation of "each GPS part number" then the problem explodes, because Garmin has made about twenty different part numbers of the GNS units.

David Bunin
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBunin View Post
It's worse than that. If Kyle really sticks to that strict interpretation of "each GPS part number" then the problem explodes, because Garmin has made about twenty different part numbers of the GNS units.

David Bunin
Here's his answer to that:

I expect that we will be able to give an AMOC for general part numbers, such as GNS 430W, without having to go down to revision levels. The only exception might be the GNS 480, which I believe was only compliant with 91.227 after a specific revision level.

Generally, yes, it would be easier to wait for a global AMOC. That being said, some of the entities may be looking for people who would allow their airplanes to be used as the basis for the AMOC. If you are interested, we may be able to put you in contact with them.

As I mentioned previously, I'm not content any longer to sit and wait for things to happen, plus my GPS-400W won't be as likely to get approval as soon as others e.g. the 430W. So I will be taking him up on that offer.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 PM

I submitted a Global AMOC for the GTN-650/GTN-750 this morning. I also had a conversation with Mike Heusser. He mentioned that my data appeared to be in order and looked good. He said to expect my personal AMOC within thirty days.

The Global AMOC may take a bit longer. The reason for the delay was that it was his preference to do one Global AMOC to cover the majority of aircraft and GPS devices. Its going to take a bit longer to facilitate getting all the various test data collected.

He said that they have data on the GNS430/4520 and now the GTN-650/750. What he needs are people that have other GPS units that they are looking to incorporate into the Global AMOC.

If you have another certified GPS that you would like included and are willing to facilitate using your aircraft to get the data for approval, please drop me an email. (do NOT PM me) Click on my userid to email me. I'll share what you'll need to do.

bob
Old 06-22-2017, 05:59 AM

It it appears that we have the Garmin camp covered for the Global AMOC. Does anyone else have a certified GPS from another vendor that they would be interested in providing data for inclusion in the Global AMOC?

If so, please email me. (No PMs please)

bob
Old 06-22-2017, 11:02 AM

I just got off the phone with Mike @ FAA.

He thinks he may be able to get the Global AMOC out in about 90 days for the Garmin family of GPS. That was his guess, not a commitment since he has to follow a defined process to get all the approvals before release. He also stated that all the data seems to be clear cut and doesn't foresee any problems.

He committed to getting the several of us that are helping provide data for the AMOC to provide bi-weekly updates on the status. I will commit to posting those updates as I get them here.

He also hinted that there is something coming for the -EXP units too, but he wasn't at liberty to share the details.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

From the sound of it, it doesn't sound very painful to get these GPSs approved on a AMOC.

How about all the EXP users submit an AMOC using our internal GPS?
I'm thinking AMOC, as the FAA was never able to test it for accuracy & reliability.
2017 Donation Paid
Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 PM

I'm with roadrunner!
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com