What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Velcro seat adhesive

Robert M

Well Known Member
So, what are you guys (and gals) using as an adhesive to secure the Velcro to the aluminum seats for securing the back cushion and the bottom seat cushions from moving around?

Thanks

I found the self-adhesive velcro tended to come loose when it got warm. I ended using a contact cement, don't remember which one tho.

Pliobond, which is essentially contact cement. Lay it on both surfaces, let it dry up until tacky, then press together.

The adhesive on the velcro isn't as strong and I've had to re-stick the velcro on the seat pans and backs with the contact cement. Seems to be holding better now.

You can buy a 3M Velcro (I know that's mixing trademarked names....) that has an acrylic adhesive that doesn't melt like the standard vinyl adhesive you buy at the big box stores. You can find it online pretty easily. the neatest thing is - it actually works! We've got vinyl-adhesive Velcro all over our planes, and when something melts, we replace it with the acrylic, and no longer worry about that spot.

Paul

You can buy a 3M Velcro (I know that's mixing trademarked names....) that has an acrylic adhesive that doesn't melt like the standard vinyl adhesive you buy at the big box stores. You can find it online pretty easily. the neatest thing is - it actually works! We've got vinyl-adhesive Velcro all over our planes, and when something melts, we replace it with the acrylic, and no longer worry about that spot.

Paul

I made the mistake of calling Velcro regarding specifications for some seat velcro without doing proper research. It is a highly engineered product for durability adhesion, removability etc. I got lost in trying to select one and relied on Abby to make that selection.

So - Paul, do you have a part number we can google and order?

Is there any reason not to use snaps to hold seats in place? Seems like it would be easy to pop rivet them in place....

Is there any reason not to use snaps to hold seats in place? Seems like it would be easy to pop rivet them in place....

I think for the undersides of the cushions, it would be difficult. The top lap over the setback could use snaps. Abby (Flightline Interiors) offers that as an option. At least on the 7, not sure about the other models.

I got the velcro, and she did a wonderful job on covering my Oregon Aero seat cushions.

Technical Specs.

FYI

Here is a 3M chart for the technical aspects of the adhesives and fastener mentioned. Note the standard adhesive is only good to 90F. The one Paul identified that works is 200F.

One thing to keep in mind here if you're using these products on upholstery.

If you're planning on sewing through the adhesive, you're possibly in for a huge disappointment. All of the adhesives that I've tried to sew through ended up sticking just as well to the needle as they would to anything else.

I'm sure that Abby has this all figured out, so follow her suggestions.

For you DIYers, try a narrow strip of sew on Velcro (or equivalent) on the upholstery, and a wide strip of adhesive Velcro (or equivalent) on the aircraft structure. Works great to spread the load and also for alignment ease.

Here is another data point to consider. I have been flying for 7 years now. I never installed the adhesive velcro strips on my Classic Aero interior parts. Seats, side panels, carpets, everything is just set into place where they belong. I just left the velcro strip with the adhesive that was intended to be stuck to the airplane attached to the velcro that is attached to the interior part. This has worked just fine for me for 7 years now with no ill effects to even talk about. Nothing slips around, nothing moves, it is easy to remove when time for inspection.

As I said, just another data point to consider. It works for me.

3M dual lock

I've had good success with this. 200F service temp. it is stiff however.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK1AK/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1497562687&sr=1-3&keywords=velcro+lock

81k%2BBtBQL0L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Back