Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
That certainly is a matter of opinion.
And worth every penny you paid for it!
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2100+ RV Hours
Track Me
VAF 2017 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM

I used the Ray Allen POS-12 sensor and mounted it like this:

Just bend up some scrap aluminum to make a bracket and flush rivet it on the back of the flap housing.

The servo has about 1" of throw, so you can see that putting a cushion clamp down low on the flap weldment arm will result in having it use the full range.

Flaps down position - sensor arm fully in:

Flaps up position - sensor arm fully out:

The rod and clevis's are from a hobby store. The little tab that is held by the cushion clamp is made from some aluminum angle. The angle got cut down a bit, but still provides for some anti-rotation protection of the tab. Under the cushion clamp is some silicon fusion tape which also keeps the cushion clamp from moving around on the weldment arm.

I have the flap positioning capability from the Vertical Power VP-X box. On my Tosten grip control stick, I have one of the two top buttons used for "down" and the other for "up". The VP-X locks out those buttons above the flap extension speed you set, so there is no issue of accidently hitting the buttons during cruise. You can configure the flap positions to where you want them in the VP-X configurator software. I have mine set at 10, 20 and 30 degrees. One press of the down button gives you 10 degrees, another press to go to 20 and a third press to get full flaps. Or you can press the button 3 times rapidly if you want full flaps with no intermediate stops. One press of the up button brings them all the way up. I really like this set up. In the pattern, slow to 78 Knots, press down once to get 10 degrees on downwind, then use the hat switch on the stick to retrim to 70 Knots. Base at 65 Knots, do the same. Press down again to get 20 degrees, retrim. On your final leg, press down a third time to get full flaps, slow to 60 Knots, retrim and grease the landing.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Bruce, thanks for the helpful photos and write up. It's a shame on this forum that when one asks for help one sometimes gets a bunch of "I didn't do that so you don't need to do it either" type of comments. I don't ask questions anymore on this forum for that reason.
RV6A, O-360/Sensenich, Skyviews
300 hours of fun flying so far
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
The MK-1 Eyeball is a great flap position sensor in the RV9. Requires no power, and the only maintenance is safety glasses in the shop and a once-a-year visit to the Optometrist.
That's what I installed in mine. Besides, with the -9 I use three positions. Full up, full down, and match to a down aileron when operating off of grass. This is not a Cessna so I feed in all the flaps abeam the touchdown point, trim it, and never touch them again for ALL landings, regardless of the wind speed or direction.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 06-21-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:15 PM

For what its worth I tend to look at most things from a reliability and future maintenance standpoint and I believe it easy for new owners and builders to get all wrapped around all the cool gadgets one can install these days (I see this quite often).

So when you have an electronic flight control, rigging now becomes critical and surface position is now dependant on an "inexpensive" position sensor with somewhat questionalble repeatability. When I put the flaps up I just want them up, and I prefer a hard stop to a electronic position sensor. Secondly when the flaps quit someday (and they will), troubleshooting becomes much more difficult and time consuming with an electronic control system, not a good thing especially if you're away from home.

So in summary I'm a big believer in the KISS principle, I think the flaps are a good example of how to make a really simple system more complicated, with minimal reward.

PS: Asking question is great, but you better have your big boy pants on when you do, this can be a rough crowd, everyone means well, we just don't all agree.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 06-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob'sRV6A View Post
Bruce, thanks for the helpful photos and write up. It's a shame on this forum that when one asks for help one sometimes gets a bunch of "I didn't do that so you don't need to do it either" type of comments. I don't ask questions anymore on this forum for that reason.
My post was simply an expression of my OPINION and should be taken for what it's worth. When I was building I spent a lot of time and money building and installing some "optional" gadgets that I thought would be useful only to find that they are a waste of time and money and added to the complexity and weight of the airplane. If someone wants to put an in-flight refueling probe on their airplane should I suggest the best way to do it or point out the obvious inadvisability of continuing down that path? Extreme example, but I hope you get my point. When multiple posters point out that the M-1 eyeball is a super flap positioning instrument, perhaps the questioner might like to re-think about building a a gadget to indicate his flap position. Or he may not, but at least he got the input from many who have been there before making his decision. If you don't ask questions you will never get the benefit of the expertise available on this forum. You don't need a flame-proof suit when asking a question, just be aware that you are liable to get more opinions than you asked for. Take 'em or leave 'em. Your choice.

Respectfully
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2100+ RV Hours
Track Me
VAF 2017 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob'sRV6A View Post
I suppose for some, happiness can be defined by never hearing an opinion counter to your own. However, it is a detraction from expanding one's knowledge. I can think of numerous examples where I asked for advise and got counter opinions. After more research on those opinions, I felt better informed on the direction that I went, either following my own thought or the alternate thought proposed. It is very easy to ignore posts if they don't add value to your mission. Most everyone here means well, even if the wording and tone may not always be the best.

Larry
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I suppose for some, happiness can be defined by never hearing an opinion counter to your own. However, it is a detraction from expanding one's knowledge. I can think of numerous examples where I asked for advise and got counter opinions. After more research on those opinions, I felt better informed on the direction that I went, either following my own thought or the alternate thought proposed. It is very easy to ignore posts if they don't add value to your mission. Most everyone here means well, even if the wording and tone may not always be the best.

Larry
Agreed completely with the exception that advise such as (paraphrase here) "I didn't do that so you don't need to do it either" hardly contributes to one's knowledge.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Back on topic.....

So I'm a low time pilot who completed an -8, ( you know over in the other threads)

While building I agonized over flap position also. Had been flying a DA-20 with 3 position flap switch. Figured that was the way it needed to be. Then I found an AFS 4500 and installed their AOA so I needed flap position. Turns out glancing out the canopy is way easier then looking at glass. Big, flat lever on a toggle switch. No regrets.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2017 (my reminder)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Bruce, I have the same setup as you with the Ray Allen position sensor and a VP-X Pro. Not sure what EFIS you have but I have a Dynon Skyview. I never got the flap positions to show up on the PFD. After multiple posts to Dynon and Vertical Power forums in which they ultimately suggested the other party was the issue, and verifying that I had it wired correctly, I never got it to work.

I have been flying for a year and a half relying on what Mike Seager taught me when I did my transition training, i.e., count to 4 for half flaps on downwind, another count to 4 on base for full flaps, and land. Has worked great but it has always bugged me I don't have the flap position showing on the PFD. (As an aside I have the same issue with the trim and have learned that counting to 4 while holding the trim down button during my pre-takeoff prep gets it pretty close to where it needs to be for takeoff.)

So, do you have a Skyview, and if so, do you remember how you configured your flaps?
VAF#1145
Donation up to date 9/17