VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM

'Soul of a New Machine' - excellent book that all engineers/managers should read.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbishop View Post
'Soul of a New Machine' - excellent book that all engineers/managers should read.
Great book, and I should read it again... "no mode bit" has been a catch phrase for my career!

We were also involved in the early days of the PC development because IBM was our partner. I still have the original user manual for the PC printed in fan-fold format. I wonder if it's worth money?

My group also designed the world's first video DRAM, which was built by Motorola for us. We were so uninspired by the IBM PCs graphics capability that we developed the VRAM. In the end, we didn't use it, but it was a good idea. Right about then, the Apple Lisa was coming out so we decided that developing our own computer was not the best use of resources.

...sigh...
2 x offender
Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
In the end, we didn't use it, but it was a good idea. Right about then, the Apple Lisa was coming out so we decided that developing our own computer was not the best use of resources.
Good call; the Lisa was a stunning success for Apple.

(I've owned a couple dozen of them; at one time I was probably the most prolific exporter of Lisas to Japan. Long story, but those machines fed my family for a few months when I was between jobs. And yes, I know the Mac was the next step and was at least marginally more successful.)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 06-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Here's an example of a simple C program (Arduino sketch) that shows how easy it is to process Dynon or Garmin serial information using the Falcon-AVR here.

This program displays:
HDG
IAS
ALT
AOA

on a 20 x 4 LCD screen as a 'backseat' display. The ALT is corrected altitude using the barometric pressure setting.

It took about an hour to write, which is pretty good because 'C' is relatively new to me (... I remember FORTRAN...)! I cut it down from a 1600 line program (auto-trim controller) just to demonstrate the function.

I have a graphics display module that would be very cool to use for virtual instruments, but that's a different project!

V
Here's the text display. Ignore the pushbuttons and IR receivers. The graphical display is working fine, just needs more time behind the keyboard to finish up.

2 x offender
Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Here's the text display. Ignore the pushbuttons and IR receivers. The graphical display is working fine, just needs more time behind the keyboard to finish up.

Update: Here's a photo of my 'back seat display' progress. This is driven by the Falcon-AVR which is also running my auto trim control and flaps positioning in my Harmon Rocket.

The graphics are still a work in process. Unfortunately, the very cool display (Gameduino 2) is no longer available. It has a GPU which makes it easy to display moving images and jpegs and sprites. Looks like a 4D Systems display may be a choice for future effort.

I'm still looking for some more prepaid group-buy orders for the Falcon-AVR circuit boards. I need a total of 20 prepaid orders to cover the costs on the next board run (which is north of $600 for the 4-layer blank pcbs). PM me for more information. Here's the link to the Falcon-AVR documents..

If i can't get a group buy together, I will refund the prepayments and just run a couple of more protos for my own needs. I'll be finalizing on July 1.

2 x offender