What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight of N696VA

waterboy2110

Well Known Member
Flew the first flight today. I can't express how well this plane flies. I decided to rent the SLSA from Scanlon and flew with Will. He's a great CFI and for all you NorCal folks I would recommend him. We did some slow flight, stalls and after three landings it was time to fly the C152 home to KCCR and bring out the RV-12.
Will said he's taught a lot of people in the 12 and he felt I was ready good to go. I told him I'd write a check for that statement.

My plane flew perfectly. It was hands off and level with no yaw. I added the rudder trim tab during build so that it would be painted and I wouldn't touch anything in the flaperons or the rudder trim.

Speaking of trim - the trim motor takes on a slightly different calibration when the AP heads are installed and in expert mode (may be just expert mode - not sure) but it is just perfect. Give the switch a little bump and you feel it in the stick.

Tomorrow I'll pull the cowl and leak check it. If there are no problems I'll go up and repeat some of card 1 since I'm EAB and have to fly off 40 hours.

This is an amazing little plane. One of my favorite things about it is the view. Dump the wing and look down - incredible.

So for all you out there working towards you first flight keep pushing. It's an awesome plane.

One more RV12 to add to the list of flying machines.
IMG_0455.JPG

Congratulations!!!! Well done! Enjoy your new ride and the many hours of pleasure about to come your way ... the fruits of your labor.

Fantastic, congrats on a great accomplishment! You look relaxed...or at least relieved. I just finished Phase 1 last week, carried my first passenger yesterday. Have fun and be safe.

Jim's hangar is across from mine at KCCR, and without question his build is really first rate! The attention to even the littlest detail - from paint to panel - is present throughout the plane. Proud to have you as a neighbor!

Thanks Scott and everyone else.

This little plane is amazing. The prop appears to be pitched perfectly - 5500 / 120kts indicated. Climb numbers are in the 1300fpm.

I was trying to fly off some of the test cards but was getting behind because I just didn't know the plane well enough. So today I just spent my time in the pattern - 14 touch and goes. Very comfortable on the go now. Still finding out little bits here and there about the skyview but's it's all coming together. I plan to repeat test card 1 and 2 since I've now discovered zero cal in the air data.

For all those flying RV's - you know what I mean. For all those building - keep going - it's a truly awesome plane (I've only flown the 12 but I'm sure I'll ride in the 6 and 7's in neighborhood one of these days.

Congratulations on your first flight.

Congratulations on your first flight.

I too plan to start with the SLSA RV-12 at Scanlon. I'm not a highly experienced pilot so it may take several sessions.

I am in Livermore so I wonder who you used as a DAR and how that process went.

Thanks.

Joe -- I was fortunate in having the FAA Oakland FSDO folks inspect my RV-12 ELSA up here at STS about 3+ years ago. I am not sure if the FAA FSDO still does such inspections -- I felt fortunate that I was able to get them to do my inspection. It doesn't hurt to give them a call. -- David

I talked to Justin at the Oakland FSDO in Jan and they had no DARS. He said he may be able to do it but he would have to check with his supervisor. I used Danny MgHehee out of SCK. I believe he ran the SAC FSDO before he retired. He was a great guy. Will over at Scanlon is top notch. I may start using him as my primary instructor.

My understanding is you pay for the DAR but the FAA comes out as part of their job. Don't know for sure but it seemed a little more involved to get the FSDO to come out and get it all coordinated. I called Danny up and he was there the next day.

Joe. I believe you threw an RV 12 get together last year or so. If so, you going to do it again?

If you're able to use Justin, please do report back. I'm hoping to be ready for inspection within the next 6 months (that's a rough plan) and will need someone near Byron, CA. Although technically in Oak territory, it's on the border between Sac and Oak FSDO's, and I've met with folks from both before.

Get together

Yep,

We had a great time last year.

We had almost 20 builders and 2 finished airplanes.

I think everyone had a great time.

I think I will skip this year and try to do this again next year.

You are always welcome to fly to LVK and I will treat you to lunch.

Joe

If you're able to use Justin, please do report back. I'm hoping to be ready for inspection within the next 6 months (that's a rough plan) and will need someone near Byron, CA. Although technically in Oak territory, it's on the border between Sac and Oak FSDO's, and I've met with folks from both before.

If you're going to try to use Justin give him a call. Seemed the FSDO's I talked to want a lot of lead time.

Richard D in SAC FSDO will do your plane if you move it to Rio Vista but you'll have to do your fly off there. No big deal for an ELSA.

Richard told me he's retiring at the end of the year. He's very knowledgeable (as is Justin) but once he's retired you'll pay for the inspection.

Thanks for the info. I'll give Justin a call and see where that goes. Going to Rio Vista isn't out of the question, but it's probably not worth the hassle as I am doing E-AB, which I'm guessing I'll get the 40 hour version, possibly 25 depending on the inspectors thoughts on UL engines and whirlwind props.

Either way, it's going to be fun.

Back