VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Default Ditto for Mickie

We went through this a long time ago and yes, what the book sets out and what you have to do in this case are hard to reconcile if not imposable.
Just like is posted above with Mickey's antenna we found that a mount on that rear former pointed to the back so the antenna can be place under the intersection cove is the best compromise. We have tested it a couple of times to see how it does putting out a good signal from that location and have found it does just fine.
If it makes you feel better we had FSDO out and asked about this when inspecting the aircraft. The answer was something like, yah that's where we have seen most of them. We too try to meet the rule every time we get it.
Some times you don't get what you are supposed to.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 05-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Couple more data points....

In conversations with an engineer at one of the popular ELT manufacturers we have learned the following.....

The transmit power of the 406 Mhz ELT's is 50X higher than it was for the traditional 121.5 ELT's, and their transmit signal has been repeatedly detected by COSPAS when no antenna was connected to the unit (usually on an uninstalled unit inside a building, etc., that was inadvertently activated).

There was some crash simulation testing done in conjunction with NASA and in two of the 3 test cases, the aircraft ended up upside down. In some of the tests the ant. was torn off the aircraft or the cable became disconnected, but in all test cases the ELT activated and was detected by COSPAS.

It was mentioned that as expected, the highest power transmission is with an intact externally mounted antenna.

If you look at enough crash wreckage, it quickly becomes apparent that there is no one ant. location that will work for all possible crash scenarios, when you consider the potential for it being ripped off, buried under wreckage, etc.
So it comes down to a personal decision in my mind. The ant. on my RV-6A is under the emp. fairing, because I have a high level of confidence that in any survivable crash scenario it will remain connected to the elt., and in good condition for transmitting. I accept the trade-off of potentially some level of shielding caused by the emp.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Antenna placement

Now here's someone with antenna placement issues:

http://www.mro-network.com/sites/mro...m_Boeing_0.jpg
Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
I think maybe I found my answer here: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=142810

But I would love to know if N130WN ever got it working right.
Hi Chuck. I posted a follow-up in the previous thread. Moving the antenna to the wingtip solved my problems.
Considering what's next ...