Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Finished the horizontal stabilizer. Started my project mid-September, about 110 hours time in project so far (VS and rudder previously completed) On to the elevators. Some photos include a few "artsy" ones....

Old 02-27-2017, 03:18 PM

Wings are done!
RV-14 kit #140138
working on the finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 AM

Of course I had to do this mistake with rivets that are difficult to find locally

RV-14 kit #140138
Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM

I received my RV-14A QB fuselage & wings on 23 July using P&M Express via Partain. I checked the big parts over upon delivery and found them to be damage free and a high quality build. Mike, the delivery driver was professional and a pleasure to meet along with his dog Bear who loves to steal gloves and play with them. It took Mike and I a little over an hour to unload the parts with no difficulty for the two of us. It was very evident to me that Mike loaded and secured everything meticulously.

Work and travel prevented me from completing the inventory until a few days later and every single part & piece of hardware was accounted for. As others have commented before, Van's does an amazing job packing items for shipment.

I ordered the QB parts on 23 Dec so it was exactly 7 months from the day I placed the order to when they arrived at my hangar. Of note, I got the email that it was in stock at Van's on 7 July. It took Van's a few days to QA the parts and release them for shipping. With the empennage and tailcone completed in late March, I'm now able to dive back into building again!
RV-14A #140359
Emp & Tailcone complete except fiberglass
Working on QB Wings

Last edited by Bobo : 07-28-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Date Corrections

Correction... The QB parts arrived at Van's 7 July and I got them 23 July. I wrote the original post after a flight through the night across the Atlantic covering 5 time zones and I was a little groggy when I posted the original. I edited my post to correct it, but it still shows the incorrect months on the VAF front page.
RV-14A #140359
Emp & Tailcone complete except fiberglass
Working on QB Wings
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM

Fuselage lower halves joined, riveting in progress.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 AM

Nothing to show but I just placed the order at Vans for a 390 and a 74inch Hartzell. I opted for one E-Mag.
RV-14 kit #140138
Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Default Current Status

Interior painted, rudder pedals and brakes in, elevator stops set, roll bar and brace installed. On to the canopy.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:45 AM

I am about to the same stage as you with my QB RV-7. I would be interested in more detail on your interior painting. What paint did you use and how did you prep & mask the structure before painting? Are there areas in the cockpit you want to make sure you don't paint?

Mark Rinehart
QB RV-7 0218
Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM

I used Sherwin Williams JetFlex WR (water reducible). The color is gray beige, which looks a little like a file cabinet in person. I used the 3M Accuspray spray gun, which I highly recommend - easy to use and simple to clean. The paint is very forgiving for a beginner like me. It turned out better than I even hoped.
I masked the firewall stainless steel and closed all of the openings around he controls and the floor tunnel with poster board. I wrapped the entire fuselage outside with cling plastic I found at Walmart, making sure I taped it well to the fuselage around the cockpit opening. I painted the interior before installing rudder pedals, sticks, and the rollbar, per the plans, then painted the rollbar separately before installing it. The painting was easier and less stressful than I expected.
One other thing: I installed disposable screws in all of the nutplates to keep paint out of the threads. Might be overkill, but it made me feel better.

Last edited by MED : 08-24-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Corrected name of spraygun