- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Pitch for Airspeed, Power for Glideslope

As a pilot who was taught "Pitch for Airspeed, Power for Glideslope", how difficult is it to switch your mindset, assuming that you have never been IFR trained?

I'm not trying to start a discussion about which is best, I would just like to understand how difficult that mental switch is for most people.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
As a pilot who was taught "Pitch for Airspeed, Power for Glideslope", how difficult is it to switch your mindset,
e.
The truth is that sayings like this are a pretty good approximation to real airplanes, but not perfect, and not quite good enough for precise ifr flying. You need to make coordinated use of both pitch and power to stay on GS and on airspeed. e.g., if you are on-speed and level at GS intercept, you'll want a substantial (about 4" MP) power reduction and a small nose up trim. It just takes practice.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 PM

Dave Gamble,

Just watched your UTube video regarding vibration dampening on the GoPro. During that video, you did a VNAV approach which turned out a bit different than your first one from a while back. This time the autopilot leveled you out at 400 feet, unlike the first stab at it. This is the same behavior I noticed a couple days ago. See post #19 in this thread. I also noticed that the LNAV portion put you left of the extended centerline and the runway. Exactly the same as my experience.

I notice you posted on the Dynon forum regarding the VNAV not leveling off at the pre-set 400 feet. They responded saying that is normal behavior. Obviously not!

I would like to see Dynon address the left of course behavior, as well as clarify what is proper VNAV behavior when the target altitude is reached.

Your thoughts and perhaps some input from Dynon would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through September, 2017
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Dave Gamble,

Just watched your UTube video regarding vibration dampening on the GoPro.
Can you point to the video? Can't seem to find it ...
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM

Here you go Tom:
https://youtu.be/iwNCq9wqsMA
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Great, thanks ...
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 PM

I posted to the Dynon forum last week regarding the left of centerline problem when using VNAV. Dynon replied saying that they see that behavior also, and it might be a bug. Gee, no kidding?
:-)
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM

The difference seems to be whether or not ALT Hold is enabled prior to selecting VNAV. Or put another way, the difference seems to be whether or not you found the 2nd set of instructions in the Autopilot chapter. When flown as Dynon stipulates, I believe it will level off and hold the selected altitude. Mea culpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Dave Gamble,

Just watched your UTube video regarding vibration dampening on the GoPro. During that video, you did a VNAV approach which turned out a bit different than your first one from a while back. This time the autopilot leveled you out at 400 feet, unlike the first stab at it. This is the same behavior I noticed a couple days ago. See post #19 in this thread. I also noticed that the LNAV portion put you left of the extended centerline and the runway. Exactly the same as my experience.

I notice you posted on the Dynon forum regarding the VNAV not leveling off at the pre-set 400 feet. They responded saying that is normal behavior. Obviously not!

I would like to see Dynon address the left of course behavior, as well as clarify what is proper VNAV behavior when the target altitude is reached.

Your thoughts and perhaps some input from Dynon would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Alex

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.